NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
To sustain our ambition to become a truly global entertainment studio developing content that is visually, auditorily, and technically stunning, all over the world and at scale, it is critical that we continue to expand, refine and execute appropriately on our internal strategies and external relationships in the post-production space, and on the legal frameworks governing them.
Netflix is seeking a Post-Production Counsel to join the Studio Operations and Partnerships Business & Legal Affairs team. The Counsel will generally support the drafting and negotiation of post-production capacity and innovation deals and post-production services agreements, and handle legal matters pertaining to areas such as vendor engagement and management, outreach and education initiatives with various industry actors, media processing and delivery, and asset management. In their day-to-day, this person will collaborate with immediate team members and with cross-functional partners to foster alignment and preparedness, as the technology supporting post-production functions and their workflows transform, and as our Studio and team strategies evolve. In addition, the Counsel will ideally drive increased efficiency by developing, implementing, and assisting with templates, workflows and frameworks to help establish more systematic approaches in contracting with vendors and partners.
The Counsel will work closely with the Post-Production business department that supports the needs of our various film and episodic series productions. This role will report to the Director, Post-Production & Production Planning on the Studio Operations & Partnerships Business & Legal Affairs team.
The successful candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, growing team and will exhibit excellent judgment in execution. The candidate will thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over blind adherence to process, and will be comfortable engaging and networking with our global, multicultural and multilingual colleagues around the world.
The successful candidate must:
• have a J.D. degree (or international equivalent);
• have at least 4 years of legal experience with a focus on contract law, commercial law and/or transactional law;
• have significant experience with either (a) filmed entertainment production or (b) within the production vendor space, ideally in post-production or visual effects;
• possess solid contract drafting and negotiating skills, with a strong familiarity with vendor/supply-chain/services agreements;
• have an ability to understand and explain efficiently how legal concepts apply in practice;
• have strong organizational and project management skills, enabling many projects to keep moving simultaneously; and
• be familiar and comfortable with international business and cultures, and be able to adapt their approach depending on the particular cultural context.
The successful candidate will also possess the following abilities and traits:
• the ability to maintain a team-oriented approach while also making independent decisions under tight deadlines with imperfect information;
• the ability to discern when process is an encumbrance and when it is an efficiency driver;
• a solution-oriented mindset, with the ability to take projects over the finish line;
• the willingness to tackle matters, and the capacity to contribute effectively outside one's area of expertise;
• the willingness to adapt and embrace change with enthusiasm;
• the courage to challenge prevailing assumptions and the insight to suggest better approaches;
• a knack for making connections that other miss;
• a default approach that favors sharing information openly and proactively;
• additional language skills and/or international working experiences (not required, but a strong plus).