Paralegal, Business & Legal Affairs - Original Independent Features
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix seeks an experienced Paralegal for a role in the indie film division's business and legal affairs group. This Paralegal will support the business & legal affairs team on a wide array of matters in connection with the development and production of indie films like The Fundamentals of Caring, Tallulah, Gerald's Game, Private Life and To The Bone. The Paralegal will be primarily responsible for drafting and reviewing development and production-related agreements, preparing comments, negotiating agreements, coordinating among internal Netflix teams, creating and maintaining tracking systems, and establishing procedures that maximize the efficiency of the independent film business & legal affairs group. The candidate will also be responsible for guiding production through matters that arise throughout the production process.
The candidate must have excellent drafting skills. In addition, the candidate must be comfortable challenging norms, counseling and collaborating with internal and external business partners, producers, production counsel and production partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to grow within Netflix to help shape the future of entertainment. The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
• At least 7 years of experience as a paralegal for a production company, studio or law firm, with direct experience handling above-the-line agreements;
• High level understanding of guild and union agreements, working with minors and other production-related labor issues;
• The ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to stay calm under pressure;
• A high level of organization, detail orientation and ability to time-manage across multiple deadlines;
• Fluency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Google Suite; and
• Paralegal certificate or JD.
In addition, the candidate will possess the following:
• Demonstrates good judgment, strong critical thinking skills and the desire and willingness to take ownership and control of complex projects;
• Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside their area of expertise;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills (candor, honesty);
• Strong analytical (strategic and creative) capabilities and judgment;
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment;
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think pragmatically and be solution-oriented;
• Adaptable negotiation style; and
• Passion for indie film and Netflix's film strategy.