Music Contract Specialist
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with 130 million memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, feature films and documentaries across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
The Netflix Music Team seeks a seasoned Music Contract Specialist to handle music license agreements for our expanding slate of Originals content. This role will have a broad responsibility for reviewing, drafting and negotiating a high volume of synchronization and master use license agreements for the use of music in our owned productions. As we produce more and more of our own content, our music repertoire continues to grow and with it the need for expertise around the licensing out of our music to third parties. This role will also work closely with our Music Licensing Team to manage the end-to-end process of licensing out our music to third parties, including drafting and negotiating licenses.
In this unique and exciting role, you will be the Music Team's second Music Contract Specialist. This is not your traditional licensing/contract role: you will manage vital components of our music license review and negotiation process and will have visibility into all facets of our music business from a studio, ''network'' and music publisher perspective. You will have the opportunity to shape Netflix's music licensing process. If this sounds intriguing, read on for more details...
As Music Contract Specialist, you love music and the music business, especially the synchronization of music in audiovisual content and the power of music to define a scene or emotion. You know the ins and outs of the music industry and music licensing, and their unique languages are second nature to you. You know exactly what it takes to use music in a film or series and you understand the significance of synchronization, master use and public performance licenses and the essential rights that must be covered in each. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, music libraries, studios, networks, artists, managers and music supervisors. You're not fazed by reviewing 5 separate synchronization licenses for a single musical composition or 2 separate master use licenses for a split territory deal, and you know exactly who to call to expedite negotiations. You are the first to caution against a ''fill in the blank'' or ''cut and paste'' approach to music license review and negotiation; in fact, you understand that there is a lot of nuance to public performance, waiver of injunctive relief and other key provisions, and your deep understanding of the underlying concepts allows you to deftly negotiate with all licensors, domestically and internationally.
Your organizational skills are unparalleled. In your view, there's no contract detail that's too small or insignificant, but you also see the big picture. You're not intimidated by a high volume of contracts.
You love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates, and you seek an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process. However, you know how to work with organizations or institutions who may not hold the same beliefs. You think this is the type of company you've always wanted to work for: culture memo.
This role is based in Netflix's Los Angeles office and reports to the Manager, Music Licensing of the Music Team, part of the Business & Legal Affairs Team at Netflix. The Music Team is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally.
• Licensing In. Drafting, reviewing, redlining and negotiating synchronization and master use license agreements for the use of third party music in owned Netflix productions. This includes establishing and maintaining music license templates, including with all third party licensors.
• Licensing Out. Handling clearances and licenses for the ''licensing out'' of Netflix's music repertoire, including reviewing quote requests, obtaining approvals, issuing quotes, drafting license agreements, and tracking the same.
• Creating and maintaining various document and rights management systems.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs.
• A BA/BS degree and at least 7 years of experience in: (i) drafting, reviewing, redlining and negotiating synchronization and master use license agreements, preferably in the music department at a studio, network or production company and (ii) handling ''licensing out'' for a music publisher, record company or the music department at a studio, network or production company, including reviewing clearance requests and issuing quotes.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
• Understanding of the importance of data as it pertains to the music business.
• Clear and concise communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Highly-collaborative, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas.
• Resourceful and able to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.
• Curious and eager to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.