Music Clearance Specialist
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment and changing the way more than 200 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and we're excited to bring even more of our programming to our viewers around the globe. It's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the Music Licensing Team: a Music Clearance Specialist who shares our passion for music to help support our expanding slate of Netflix content. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (https://jobs.netflix.com/culture). A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix content through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our Los Angeles office and will report to Manager, Music Licensing.
As a seasoned music clearance expert, you love music and everything about the music clearance process for film, series and documentaries. You know everyone in the industry: the record companies, the publishers, the indies, music supervisors, music libraries, production houses, music editors, artists, songwriters and managers. You know exactly who to call to expedite a negotiation. You think having multiple quotes for the same song makes complete sense, you're used to clearing compositions with as many as 10 rights holders, and you're not fazed by split territory deals. You know what action to take when a licensor redlines or stamps your quotes. You know who to contact for that obscure track from the 1970s and, if necessary, you're ready to suggest alternative tracks if it doesn't clear, even if you're not in a ''creative'' role in the traditional sense. You avoid a ''fill in the blank'' or ''cut and paste'' approach to music clearances; in fact, you understand each deal, like each production, is highly-nuanced and there is no detail too small or insignificant, however, you're still focused on the big picture. You're not intimidated by a high volume of clearances or complex negotiations on a high-profile production, and you're able to combine pace with a high level of precision and professionalism. The music production process for original content is second nature to you - from script to payment of invoices and submission of cue sheets - you've mastered that and feel comfortable working independently throughout the entire process.
You understand the importance of relationships and communication. You also understand the dynamics between showrunners, executive producers, line producers, producers, finance, production, post production, credits, labor, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music clearance issue calls. You are comfortable speaking with all stakeholders to find solutions to make the seemingly unsolvable, solvable. You may produce locally, but you think globally.
This is a unique opportunity to expand and grow beyond your immediate area of expertise, and to collaborate with colleagues in our domestic and international offices who share your passion for music, copyright and the entertainment industry. An opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
• Acting as Netflix's point of contact for music clearance matters for a variety of Netflix content verticals (e.g., series, film, or documentary), responsible for overseeing the clearance of thousands of songs and advising internal and external stakeholders on music rights and restrictions as it pertains to pre-existing music.
• Overseeing music clearances from start to finish, including: onboarding and guiding music supervisors and music clearance personnel; identifying music and lyrics requiring clearance; researching rights holders; preparing, reviewing, securing and advising on quotes from labels, publishers and music libraries, including advising on licensor modifications to quotes; tracking rights and restrictions to ensure consistency across Netflix's productions; monitoring music budgets and clearance reports in coordination with our creative teams, providing ''ballpark estimates'' when needed; making public domain determinations; reviewing song credits; ensuring accurate legal delivery of music clearance documentation; and reviewing and negotiating synchronization license agreements when needed.
• Aligning with other Netflix teams on music clearance matters (e.g., Music Marketing, Music Data, Rights & Tech, Music Creative & Production, Cue Sheets, Post Production, Finance, etc).Building and maintaining strong relationships throughout the music industry.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs.
• The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree (preferred) and 10 years of music clearance experience in the music department at a major production, film/television studio, television network, publisher, label, or law firm.
• Experience providing in-house support at a film or television production company, studio or network is highly preferred.
• Highly collaborative, with clear and concise communication skills (written and verbal).
• Exceptional organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Ability to pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.