Media Lab Technician, Creative Technologies
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer motion picture and sound technology and practices, evaluating their applicability to our goals, and supporting their implementation: this is our everyday on the Creative Technologies team. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, exhibition, facility design, storage, video.
As Netflix produces more and more programming around the world leveraging new video and audio technology, we are scaling our experimentation and evaluation efforts to better understand the opportunities and challenges they present. As a Media Lab Technician in Los Angeles, you will take part in the design, documentation, assembly, testing, and support of infrastructure pertaining to professional viewing and listening spaces. In this context, infrastructure encompasses signal distribution, computer hosts and associated applications, as well as displays and sound systems. Remote collaboration systems are also part of the solution set we provide to our creative teams. Your role is pivotal to ensuring that the technical solutions are tested thoroughly and well documented. These solutions will be used as design templates, from which others will be derived to suit specific use cases globally.
• You are a self starter and have excellent communication and documentation skills.
• You have the ability to document workflows and create ''how to'' guides for internal and external users and support teams.
• You have the ability to conduct, document, and structure testing in a cohesive and logical way
• You can quickly and accurately identify faults with picture or sound and successfully troubleshoot to determine the root cause.
• You are able to meet the urgent needs of external partners and internal colleagues when supporting them.
• Your curiosity drives you to research and fully comprehend the technical specifications of a product to understand its application and function within a system.
• Your diagnoses are based on scientific analysis more than educated guesses, while still bringing your past experience to bear on new problems.
• You derive great satisfaction in diagnosing root causes of problems, correcting them, and documenting the solutions to share with others in your team.
• You are a team player who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative setting.
• You are comfortable with pivoting quickly, and easily adapt to last-minute demands, whenever they arise and wherever they come from.
• 5 years working in a motion picture exhibition, post-production, live production, or VFX environment in support of technical research and innovation.
• Working knowledge of Audio and Video software solutions such as Resolve, Transkoder, Clipster, and the Avid product suite and underlying hardware infrastructure.
• Understanding of audio and video signal flow at the physical layer.
• Knowledge of digital audio and video file formats including DCP, IMF, and MOV.
• Familiarity with networking principles and communication protocols used in a professional context.
• Mac and Windows proficiency, as well as Linux/UNIX command line competency.
• Familiarity with display calibration practices and concepts.
• Understanding of video ranging, gamma / EOTF, and color spaces.
• Ability to operate and troubleshoot consumer gear including AVRs, computer displays, and Smart TVs.
• Competency in Google suite applications is desirable.
• Competency in CAD software such as Visio, LucidChart, AutoCAD, OmniGraffle, etc. is essential.
• Working knowledge of room automation systems or remote collaboration systems is considered a plus.
• Certificate or college degree in a relevant field is preferred.