Manager, VFX - Series
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, VFX - Series (UCAN)
From Bridgerton to Lost in Space, Stranger Things to Narcos, Netflix brings the most talked about series content to viewers around the world. The Original Series team is composed of the most experienced and passionate professionals in the industry, who are dedicated to crafting unique stories that are captivating, imaginative and push the boundaries of what's possible for series content.
We seek a highly experienced Manager, Visual Effects to manage both internal and third-party co-productions across Netflix Original Series. This person should be very well established in the VFX industry and should have solid work experience at vendor and/or production level. Key to the position is the ability to help curate vendor and VFX crew relations, review and help budget scripts, creatively assess and comment on work, all while supporting filmmakers and helping to develop the Netflix VFX pipeline.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, able to pivot when necessary, thorough and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and unwavering attention to detail at all times. This person should intuitively understand and appreciate right-sizing budgets and customizing approaches to visual effects in alignment with a specific Title from high-end spectacle to story-serving invisible effects. This is a demanding and fast-moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative.
• Working with Production teams, Studio Creative Executives, and Finance during development and pre-production. Analyzing scripts, developing VFX breakdowns & budgets and production/post-production planning. Providing recommendations and feedback on VFX scope of work and feasibility.
• Building the visual effects teams. Recruiting Supervisors, Producers, Vendors and negotiating with agents. Overseeing contract negotiations and liaising with Legal to maintain thresholds for expenditures and company policies.
• Managing VFX delivery progress and cost report tracking. Working closely with the VFX Producers to anticipate and troubleshoot schedule and budget issues. Ensure production is running smoothly, meeting deadlines and staying on budget.
• Helping develop and maintain a weekly reporting system for show VFX Producers to generate a concise weekly snapshot of the budget, schedule and VFX progress.
• Working with the VFX Supervisor and VFX Producer to review VFX media as a way of ensuring highest quality work.
• Researching and networking with new businesses and up-and-comers. Tracking talent availability.
• Technical understanding of the visual effects process including 4K pipelines as well as emerging technologies for improving workflows.
• Understanding of tax incentives and rebates.
• A love for the creative process!
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience specifically overseeing multiple projects at a time in managerial roles such as VFX Producer, Post Producer, VFX Executive Producer, VFX Supervisor, etc.
• A passion for visual effects and the technology and artistry that makes it possible
• Experience collecting and negotiating vendor bids, and budgeting for visual effects
• Knowledge of current trends for VFX production workflows
• Team-player who thrives in a fast-paced team-oriented setting
• Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information
• Desire and self motivated to continuously learn
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task.
• Track record of fostering, building, and maintaining relationships with filmmakers, VFX supervisors, VFX producers, and key vendors