Manager, Production Management
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is home to best in class, award-winning documentary features and shorts. Our Documentary Production Management team is at the forefront of bringing a global and diverse slate of stories to audiences across the world. As leaders in the nonfiction production space, we continuously find innovative, collaborative ways to bring the creative visions of incredible storytellers to life.
We are seeking an experienced Production Manager to help manage both internal and third-party productions of documentary features and shorts. Responsibilities include establishing and curating vendor and staff/crew relations, reviewing budgets and supporting/suggesting best practices from pre-production through delivery.
People who excel on this team are positive, kind, self-motivated, flexible of thought and able to juggle multiple responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization. We value people who are creative problem solvers, have great judgement and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Pre-Production/Setup of Show
• Work with Finance, Legal, Creative, Studio Technology, Post and external production teams on establishing key production schedules and workflows and maximizing budget to spend as much on screen as possible.
• Set up productions to return to work safely.
• Work with Showrunners, EICs and Line Producers to prepare and vet show budgets and schedules, providing feedback internally and externally on viability and risks.
• Collaborate with internal and external teams to lock budget
• Track and manage all related costs, keeping stakeholders apprised of status
• Help ensure that productions run smoothly, remain safe, meet deadlines and stay within budget.
• Create/Help inform and draft overall production schedule.
• Collaborate with internal teams and external production team to lock schedule.
• Troubleshoot and communicate all changes to schedule to internal and external teams.
• Lead or assist with search and hire of key production staff.
• Determine key vendors to accommodate creative vision and relationships, tax incentives, budget needs, location issues.
• Help maintain/curate preferred vendor list.
Ongoing Production Support
• Problem solving as issues arise throughout production and establishing an open dialogue with external production partners.
• Working with Production HR and Diligence teams when issues arise to ensure crews and participants are treated with respect both on and off set.
• 6 Years and experience with documentary features production executive management both in the field and on a network or production company level.
• Ability to stay calm under pressure and lead both internal teams and external partners with empathy.
• Ability to handle a fast paced environment simultaneously supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery).
• Familiar and experienced with the current trends and workflows for both HD and 4K.
• Inclusive team-player who operates in a collaborative, fast-paced, team-oriented setting.
• Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information.
• Willingness to continue learning to ensure understanding of the current production process, gear and communication tools.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multitask.
• Proficiency in Movie Magic Budgeting, Google Suite, and management level knowledge of post workflows and systems. Familiarity with Slack is preferred.
• Strong working knowledge of budgeting including market rates on labor, gear and facilities as well as guild and union guidelines.
• BA/BS Degree or equivalent industry experience.