Manager, Multicultural Social - Strong Black Lead
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Multicultural Social - Strong Black Lead (UCAN)
WHAT IS STRONG BLACK LEAD?
Strong Black Lead is a social media platform that exists to uplift Netflix's Black talent, stories, and audiences through social content that contributes to the culture. We are on the pulse of conversation among our consumers – not just listening, but also shaping thoughtful, hilarious, exciting discussions with fans. Through our content, we deliver the Netflix stories that bring our Black audiences joy, make them feel seen, and empower them to be the representation they want to see on screen.
We are looking for a candidate to be a part of a dynamic team that focuses on connecting Netflix titles with multicultural audiences. The role will help devise and execute tailored, culturally relevant, and innovative campaigns via our Strong Black Lead social platform to help shape the perception of our original films, series, kids & family, and documentary content with this key audience.
The ideal candidate will have deep entertainment experience, strong industry relationships, and a gift for storytelling that strategically engages Black audiences on social media. This is an exciting hands-on role that requires extensive knowledge of the cultural zeitgeist, and can both identify and react swiftly to trends and relevant conversations on social media, all while promoting Netflix titles. It is necessary to have a strong strategic vision, sharp copywriting skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple teams - including publicity, marketing, community, and awards.
The role requires a seasoned social media expert who not only can drive strategy, but also develop direct reports on the team. They will have experience working with executives, filmmakers, talent, talent representatives, agencies, and production partners. They are results-oriented and a clear and concise communicator, as well as anticipate messaging needs, be proactive, and able to meet fast-breaking deadlines. Curiosity, creativity, and the ability to take risks are expected. The ability to manage a budget, as well as operating at scale and find efficiencies while maintaining high standards of quality are an integral part of this role. This role would be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Strong Black Lead social platforms, collaborating with external teams, and developing original social content.
• Responsible for the Black audience social strategy on a title, aligned with the overall marketing and PR campaign strategy. This is inclusive of the target audience, social creative, and content distribution across the Netflix social ecosystem
• Manage, guide, and develop direct reports who also support Strong Black Lead
• Manage the launch of key marketing assets across social
• In addition to single titles, assigned to larger, slate-level narratives and initiatives to lead social strategy and execution in partnership with key internal stakeholders
• Use internal and external social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy, ideate with creativity, and constantly learn to improve future campaigns
• The main point of contact regarding social strategy and social creative for Strong Black Lead for Marketing, Publicity, Content, and other teams working against cultural titles
• Responsible for the full suite of content to support a title across the totality of the planned social ecosystem for the entire duration of a title campaign, and delivering finalized content to our proprietary scheduling system
• Work closely with marketing, production, and talent partners to craft content capture strategy, plan around talent, and decide execution needs (content days, on-set capture, marketing shoots, events, etc.)
• Collaborate with the team that oversees platforms to ensure best practices for social creative and align on distribution strategy across platforms.
• Drive innovation on social platforms and strive for creative excellence across all titles and assets
Background and Specific Skills
• STRONG CREATIVE INSTINCTS - You are constantly thinking of new ideas for posts, IG stories, and recurring features. You see a piece of content and know how to make it better, funnier, or more sincere.
• STRONG COMMUNICATION SKILLS - You will be working with a small core team of creatives as well as Netflix managers who will come in and out of the work on the periphery. You are clear and concise in speech and writing, you maintain calm poise in stressful situations, you are transparent and thoughtful in your communication about why or why you are not doing something.
• ATTENTION TO DETAIL - We move quickly at Netflix and plans often change at the last minute. You have strong attention to detail from grammar in your writing, to spotting typos in captions, to making up-to-the-minute time and file changes in our content calendar.
• EXCELLENT CREATIVE WRITING SKILLS - The Strong Black Lead account is developing a strong and differentiated tone of voice. We are more than just a landing place for Netflix content, we want someone who can use assets and comments to build an impactful, consistent online persona and engage community by identifying unique community management opportunities and editing writer-submitted copy and assets to match our overall tone.
• DEEP UNDERSTANDING OF FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER AND TIK TOK - You know what file formats are needed for platforms, such as how to optimize IGTV videos for in feed preview, when to use a carousel vs a grid takeover, when to use a Twitter thread vs individual Tweets, etc. You strive for high-quality downloads over screengrabs and are deeply interested in asset performance and the future of each platform.
• ABILITY TO BE NIMBLE - You are nimble and have the ability to quickly pivot to priority changes or asks. You can adapt quickly to new asset requests without losing sight of other priorities. You identify creative opportunities that start in the community and work to make them bigger and better.
• KNOWLEDGE OF BLACK COMMUNITIES - You are well-versed in the many subgroups that make up the community – from cultural references to slang – and are tapped in to the conversations these different groups are having on social.
• COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT- interacting with our audiences, developing relationships and inside jokes, and being willing to be both vulnerable and funny with our users - is the backbone of our social accounts. You are strategic in who, when, and what you respond to.
The successful candidate for this team will have at least 15 years of experience - in a social media, studio, network, agency, or journalism setting. BA/BS required.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - 300,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
The Manager of Multicultural Social on Strong Black Lead reports to the Senior Director, Multicultural Publicity, Social & Community based in LA.