Manager, Marketing Partnerships - Japan, Taiwan and Hk
Full Time Job
Netflix is revolutionizing the world of entertainment around the world both for consumers and for partners: we want our shows to be ubiquitous, granting access to them to everybody with any device and any operator.
We have an amazing opportunity to join the Japanese Chinese Language Marketing Partnerships team as a Marketing Partnerships Manager - Japan, Taiwan & HK. The ideal candidate is passionate about content, is entrepreneurial at heart, and finds joy in creating buzz-worthy marketing campaigns with our partners. The person will be responsible for managing the local partner marketing campaigns and relationships with partners ranging from MVPD's to mobile carriers (KDDI, Chunghwa Telecom) and device partners such as Google, Sony, and PlayStation.
We are looking for a seasoned marketing professional who has experience managing and growing relationships with partners and is passionate about owning the full life cycle of partner marketing projects from idea to execution across our acquisition partners as well as brand partnerships. The role will report to the Manager of Marketing Partnerships, Japan.
Netflix in Japan
In August 2020, Netflix surpassed 5 million subscribers in Japan, less than 5 years after Netflix became available for Japanese consumers in September 2015.
Japan is a strategic market in Netflix's continued international growth. Since launching in the market in September, 2015, our content library has doubled. In addition to a wide selection of Western entertainment content, we have continued to invest in Japanese content consisting of original films, series, anime, reality shows, and documentaries. Some titles that come to mind are The Naked Director, Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045, Followers, Alice in Borderland, Arashi's Diary - Voyage and more.
In 2021, Netflix will double down on our Japanese investment in order to continue our curation of a compelling content library made up of original and licensed titles across live action, anime categories. This aggressive content investment by Netflix is industry leading across the Subscription-Video-on-Demand (SVOD) and VOD segment.
We continue to grow our Tokyo office as we expand our functions across content creation, marketing and business development. Our partnerships in Japan continue to expand as our market penetration grows. In addition to two of the top three major mobile carriers, and a nationwide engagement with cable operators, we have deep relationships with all the top consumer electronics manufacturers, making our service and content easy to access for consumers across Japan.
Netflix in Taiwan and HK
Our Chinese language content slate continues to grow since 2020. To springboard into the Chinese language speaking diaspora across various Chinese language speaking countries, Taiwan and HK play a strategic geographical positioning to amplify our Chinese language slate. Some representative titles from our Chinese language content slate are : Victims' Game, Nowhere Man, Little Big Women, and Ying Yang Master : Dream of Eternity. Our partnerships in Taiwan and HK with the operator partners (think Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Mobile, CSL/1010, PCCW) are established, and are gradually growing. Our consumers in the region have a wide variety of choices of entertainment, both local and foreign. Our membership growth is commensurate with our content slate growth, and our continued marketing initiatives in making Netflix the go-to source of high quality and diverse source of entertainment.
The Marketing Partnerships team is responsible for driving conversation-worthy partner marketing initiatives to further gain memberships and generate buzz in the local market. We manage three main categories of partners : 1) acquisition partners such as KDDI, J:COM, and 2) brand partnership partners such as Coca-Cola and Levi's, 3) consumer products partners to develop merchandise as a standalone project, or in conjunction with other brand partnerships and marketing initiatives.
The primary focus of the team continues to be on acquisition partnerships working cross functionally with Business Development, Legal, and Product teams to further develop existing and new acquisition partners to drive sign-ups via marketing promotions. Brand partnership and consumer products marketing initiatives are within scope, however, at a lighter portion of the balance.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Own the marketing relationship with our acquisition partners, and be the first layer of go-to across various levels of partners' marketing departments
• Work closely cross functionally with our business development, marketing and product teams, both in country (Japan), as well as Regional level with APAC and US teams.
• Provide seamless and strategic support to partners, and proactively co-develop campaigns leveraging our IP to maximize Netflix exposure on their marketing channels and engagement on partner devices to create best in class launches and campaigns
• Collaborate with internal marketing functions, partner creative teams, consumer products team and agencies to elevate the Netflix brand and introduce our content to consumers in unique and unexpected ways to drive buzz and conversations with our members.
• Activate campaigns by developing and launching creative partner marketing programs that advance exposure for Netflix content or the brand in a way that also benefits our partners
• Drive integration between broader content and brand programs at Netflix and our strategic partners
• Evaluate performance against marketing goals with partners through established review rhythm and define corrective actions to improve effectiveness and results
• A desire to assimilate and thrive in our unique culture.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in Japan in one or more of the following industries: tech, consumer electronics, consumer products, mobile carrier, MVPDs, consumer entertainment and/or gaming
• Strong experience in consumer marketing with natural partner management and influencing skills
• Curiosity and passion in exploring and able to self-manage and proactively drive negotiations (with support from internal cross-functional teams) with partner to gain maximize amount of marketing investment in each BD deals
• Natural partner engagement skills with the ability to develop rapport and translate established partner relationships to programs that impact the business.
• Ability to analyze and apply data to business strategy and goals.
• Experience and passion for building great content partner marketing programs that are unique and scalable.
• An ability to effectively provide input on creative development from a local market perspective (Japan, Taiwan or HK)
• Strong level of independence and efficiency while maintaining a high-degree of organization.
• Strong cross-functional collaboration skills and ability to promote innovation through a creative collaboration process that transforms different input into one actionable output.
• Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously without the support of a large team, working both independently and in close collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders, and external agencies.
A big plus
• Experience and track record of taking a foreign capital brand/product/service in Japan from market-entry stage to a successful industry-leading miles