Manager, Marketing Music
Full Time Job
Manager, Marketing Music (EMEA/UK)
Over the past year, Netflix has been growing globally launching over 30 international originals in 2018, almost 100 total since 2017. With Netflix pivoting to become a local producer of content across the world, and 74 of our roughly 130 million members living outside the United States, our marketing efforts are also hitting international strides. We're looking for a veteran clearance and music rights manager to support Netflix's Marketing and PR teams based in the EMEA and APAC regions. Although this role will report into the Marketing Legal Group in Los Angeles, it will also be part of the larger Music Group at Netflix.
Our Marketing and PR campaigns are a key part of Netflix's ongoing success, and music is core to those campaigns. Working closely with the company's stakeholders in the Marketing and PR organizations and Music Group, the successful candidate will be comfortable advising on a wide range of music clearance matters, keeping in mind the strategic goals of the company and understanding the broader legal implications of taking one action over another. In addition they love everything music. They spend their free time going to venues, searching the Internet for the next great artist, and studying musicology. They know everyone in the industry - the record labels, publishers, artists, managers, agents, studios, networks, agencies, marketing teams, producers, post producers, editors, and directors. They think having several different licenses (synch, master, mechanical, etc.) for the same work makes complete sense and doesn't think twice about a 7-way split ownership for ''a side'' of a song. They understand copyright as it pertains to music and has worked in projects across a variety of countries in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
The successful candidate will be someone who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. They will have incredible soft skills to compliment their diligent work ethic. They seek an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process yet they know how to work with organizations or institutions that may not hold the same beliefs. This memo outlines how they always thought a company should be run.
List of Responsibilities:
• Coordinating with Netflix's internal cross-functional stakeholders as well as outside parties including labels, publishers, copyright owners, composers, their managers and/or attorneys, regarding clearance, ownership, and financial procedures and license fees.
• Align with their marketing music counterparts across the globe in order to maintain a cohesive and thoughtful global music strategy.
• Researching music ownership and seeking/obtaining quotes from labels and publishers.
• Managing, negotiating, and preparing/reviewing licenses (master and synch, etc.).
• Negotiating and executing custom music projects with music houses, artists, and producers.
• Building and maintaining strong relationships with third-party companies, labels, artists, studios, publishers, producers, various guilds and music/performance associations (e.g. SACEM, STEMRA, GEMA, BMU etc).
• Meeting with current and new music production houses, libraries, songwriters and producers and making recommendations for future opportunities.
• Managing Netflix marketing and PR's music clearance needs and rights management, including tracking territory, media and terms and maintaining all cue sheets.
• Obtaining media buy schedules in order to pay talent fees, if necessary, for all spots and to provide to publisher's/labels as required by licenses.
• Providing creative input for use of alternate songs when clearances are not available for the original request.
• Following industry trends for new business/content opportunities.
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's marketing music needs.
• The successful candidate will have a BA/BS degree and at least 10 years of direct music clearance experience at a major production, film/television studio, television network, agency, publisher, label, or law firm in the music department.
• This role is based in Europe reporting into Los Angeles. The candidate will be expected to stay closely aligned with the marketing music team in the U.S.
• Excellence in an autonomous work environment with a vision to spot broad issues and create solves, and an attitude humble enough to dive into the day to day work.
• Fluency with technology and experience using data analyzation as a tool to inform strategic choices and solve problems.
• Clear, concise communication skills.
• Ability to distill salient points and frame and present issues succinctly.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Ability to pivot quickly, think practically, and be solution-oriented.