Manager, Global Policy Specialist
Full Time Job
Location: The role will be based in London, with frequent travel to Amsterdam.
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
The Netflix legal and public policy team is a highly talented and experienced group of lawyers and public policy experts who work in close partnership with their business counterparts to advance the strategic goals of the company. The team is perceived within the company as solution-oriented and as an integral part of the Netflix business.
The public policy team is seeking a talented and experienced Manager to join our Global Policy Specialists team. The manager will be a key member of the Global Public Policy team, both supporting other team members in defining and achieving and the company's public policy objectives around the world and taking direct responsibility for a variety of projects related to those objectives and they will also partner with cross-functional teams in an environment where collaboration between legal and business thrives.
She/He should have at least 4 years of relevant experience as a qualified, practicing lawyer at a multinational technology or entertainment company or a law firm and be qualified in at least one jurisdiction.
The Manager's role will focus on content protection, competition, technology and tax policy issues around the world.
• Leading research work on draft laws, bills, and policy positions (by Governments and peer companies and competitors) on our key areas around the world,
• Reviewing and drafting legal briefs, memos, powers of attorney, and other legal/policy documents,
• Synthesising and disseminating key information to cross-functional partners,
• Managing policy trackers and databases,
• Partnering with the GPS leads on strategic objectives,
• Managing high volumes of documentation relating to content protection, competition, technology and tax policy,
• Drafting summaries of meetings, talking points and document management,
• Effective project management on multiple topics to ensure timely and accurate completion of policy workflows,
• Proactively learning about new policy developments in the area of antitrust, content protection, technology and tax policy and updating cross-functional partners on the latest initiatives,
• Liaising between GPS, policy, tax and legal teams to develop improvements in knowledge sharing,
• Reviewing legal documents in relation to content protection and antitrust, analyzing internal trends, and determining a path for better archiving and analysis of information, and
• Maintaining flexibility and openness to take on additional projects as necessary.
This is an opportunity to be part of an established and fast growing company that is changing the future of entertainment in Europe and around the world. The Public Policy team at Netflix is focused on collaborating with our business partners to innovate and find effective, efficient solutions. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious, demonstrate great initiative, an effective cross-functional communicator, and will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization. She or he will also be excited and inspired by the Netflix Culture.
The Successful candidate will have:
• The successful candidate will hold a degree or postgraduate qualification in either: Law, Economics or Political Sciences (a conversion course to Law is also welcomed),
• Basic experience (4 - 8 years) in at least some of the following areas, possibly in a in-house role: Litigation, Tax Policy, Content Protection, Competition or Legal & Business Affairs,
• Fluency in English required; fluency in at least one other language strongly preferred,
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment,
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution oriented,
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
• Ability to collaborate, negotiate with, and influence colleagues and external partners in agile, fast-moving environment,
• Curiosity about how we operate our business and the markets we serve in order to develop innovative solutions,
• Flexibility to work across different time zones in Europe, Asia, US, META and a willingness to travel, and
• Willingness to tackle new subjects outside of the main area of expertise - an enthusiastic generalist.