Manager / Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Manager / Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs - Scripted Series
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix is seeking a Manager/Counsel in the Scripted Series group focused on the business and legal affairs aspects of scripted original series, along with other related responsibilities. The successful candidate will work closely with the entire Scripted Series team (e.g., Creative, Production, Finance, Marketing) and take on wide-ranging responsibilities including: (a) negotiating and drafting writer, producer, director, actor and other above the line talent deals, (b) overseeing series throughout all stages from script development through post-production and exhibition on Netflix's global streaming service, and (c) serving as a strategic partner to help manage the voluminous slate. The role requires a dexterity with traditional business and legal affairs issues and challenges, but also an eagerness to cover a lot more ground than a conventional business and legal affairs role.
The successful candidate will enjoy working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are core tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates, an environment that places thoughtful efficiency over process, yet someone who knows how to work with organizations or institutions who may not hold the same beliefs. They should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with incredible volume, managing and taking ownership of multiple projects, working under tight timeframes and remaining calm and confident throughout.
• Understanding of and familiarity with the scripted series production process, and especially the business and legal affairs concerns of series production.
• Exceptional critical thinking skills marked by an ability to analyze business needs and drive strategic results in the dealmaking process.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to cultivate internal and external relationships.
• Willingness to innovate and engage in creative problem-solving.
• Ability to work independently and change direction frequently.
• Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally.
• Excellent project and time management skills.
• BA/BS required; MBA or JD strongly preferred.
• At least 5 years of experience in television with direct experience negotiating and drafting development and production agreements for scripted series. The ideal candidate will also have a firm grasp on all aspects of the development, financing, production and distribution of scripted television and robust industry knowledge.