Manager, Brand Protection
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning content to viewers in over 190 countries. Netflix seeks an experienced Manager, Brand Protection to help support our expanding portfolio of trademarks related to our house brands and original content (series, films, documentaries, stand-up comedy, kids & family, unscripted, etc.). This role will have broad responsibility with respect to Netflix's global trademark portfolio, including trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement with an emphasis on brand protection.
The Intellectual Property Legal Team is a cross-functional, global team of legal professionals that sits within Content Legal. We manage a wide range of risks associated with our content--some of those are more traditional IP risks around copyright and trademark infringement. But we also advise as to defamation, life/personality rights, and legal issues relating to sensitive content. In general, it's easiest to think of our team as managing the strategies for legal risk in what appears on screen in our content.
As a member of the IP Team, you will be an integral resource for Netflix's business and creative teams. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you're not fazed by a high volume of matters in an environment of constant change. You are excited about the challenge of helping us build out our brand protection needs, and will bring both a deep knowledge of the IP enforcement industry and a strong appetite for bold innovation. You are business-oriented, think outside the box, and challenge long-standing assumptions about how to manage IP. You are adept at pragmatically analyzing risk, and you confidently communicate to executives at all levels. The successful candidate will seek to work in an environment where freedom and responsibility are equally valued, and where passion and curiosity are mandates. The role reports to the Director, Trademarks & Brand Protection and is based in Los Angeles.
• Create and implement enforcement strategies to support our consumer products business, and to protect our house and title brands.
• Develop and manage data-driven strategies for brand enforcement.
• Partner with local counsel, investigators, government agencies, and law enforcement globally.
• Identify innovative solutions to best achieve our brand protection goals.
• Develop and deepen relationships with IP enforcement vendors globally.
• Monitor global online marketplaces for infringing consumer products.
• Draft and file takedowns regarding trademarks, and DMCA copyright violations.
• Field and file brand protection take-down requests using third party monitoring tools and marketplace complaint systems.
• Work with customs agencies globally on seizures and other anti-counterfeiting activities.
• Draft C&D letters for trademark infringement.
• Support various legal aspects of Netflix's domain name portfolio, including domain acquisitions and UDRPs.
• Conduct and analyze trademark clearances.
• Communicate search results to business stakeholders.
• Assist with all aspects of international and domestic trademark prosecution and maintenance.
• 10 years of trademark/IP enforcement experience.
• Deep understanding of IP law, including copyright and fair use principles, as well as U.S. and international trademark prosecution and maintenance requirements.
• Deep knowledge of identifying and enforcing against counterfeit goods.
• Ability to work across different cultures and adapt to local norms. Tech-savviness, including proficiency with cloud-based document and database systems.
• Experience using Saegis, watch service and brand protection tools.
The Successful Candidate Will Also:
• Have clear, concise communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and creative thinking.
• Be able to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment with a positive and energetic attitude.
• Have a bias toward collaboration and responsiveness to change, feedback and new ideas.
• Be curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Have unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
• Be able to distill complicated matters and communicate in plain language to a variety of audiences.
• Speak multiple languages (not required but would be a big plus - extra points if those languages are Spanish, French, German or Portuguese).
• Have a great sense of humor!