Legal Operations Manager, Outside Counsel Management
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix seeks a passionate legal operations manager to oversee the day-to-day functions that govern our outside counsel management program. You will help innovate how Netflix Legal engages law firms, manages billing rates, identifies and implements cost-saving opportunities, promotes counsel diversity and visualizes all related data. Combined, the successful candidate will allow the department to make better, more data-driven decisions when hiring and managing outside counsel.You will be an active member and contributor to a growing Legal Operations team, supporting other team members on projects when needed. The ideal candidate will be someone who is detail-oriented, exceptional at working and communicating cross-functionally and thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic culture with many challenges and opportunities.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
Job responsibilities are outlined below.
Law Firm Engagement Oversight and Reporting
• Partner with 3rd party vendors to automate the drafting of law firm engagement letters
• Respond to engagement specific questions raised by internal and external (firm) stakeholders
• Align legal billing guidelines with Netflix and industry best practices, and address related education and enforcement
• Maintain our internal counsel resource site and strategize around future enhancements
Counsel Rate and Discount Management
• Manage hourly billing rates in our third-party eBilling tool
• Monitor existing discounts and ensure they are being applied as agreed
• Help identify new opportunities for negotiated discounts and alternative fee arrangements
• Assist in the reporting on firm spend, competitive rate intelligence, and cost savings
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Tracking
• Solicit firm diversity data and ensure compliance with related guidelines
• Create and maintain department-wide counsel diversity dashboards
• Research global D&I certifications and affiliations to consider for promotion and partnership
• 7-10 years experience in corporate outside counsel management function or law firm equivalent (pricing, budgeting, project management, etc.)
• Ability to communicate your insights clearly, both in writing and verbally, to a diverse audience, accounting for varying subject matter backgrounds
• Ability to interpret and negotiate legal engagement terms
• Experience in various legal technologies including e-billing, matter management, workflow automation, document management, business intelligence and more is preferred
• Willingness to ramp up on new technologies and learn them in-depth
• Experience in Google (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) preferred or Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Understanding of law firm business structures and culture
• Proven ability to effectively collaborate with in-house counsel
• Highly analytical and mastery of advanced data functions (pivots, vlooks, formulas, etc.)