Legal Associate, Visual Effects
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is seeking a Legal Coordinator to be part of the Studio Operations & Partnerships team within the Content Legal organization. The Legal Coordinator will work closely with the Visual Effects Counsel on the Studio Operations & Partnerships team, the VFX business department, the Physical Production Legal group that supports the needs of our various film and episodic series productions, and other cross functional partners throughout Netflix. The Legal Coordinator will be responsible, under the supervision of the Visual Effects Counsel, for negotiating and drafting master service and vendor production agreements and statements of work with VFX companies for our films and series across all content genres. The Legal Coordinator will also help manage the tracking of our VFX deals, spend, and paperwork, to help align with overarching efforts to realize tax incentive benefits and volume-based commercial terms. Other responsibilities include: liaising with vendors to gather information necessary for legal vetting; interfacing with vendors and internal stakeholders to define Netflix expectations, help resolve issues, and address contractual breaches; and conducting periodic reviews of vendor forms to ensure ongoing compliance with Netflix and legal requirements.
The successful candidate should have prior experience in a legal and/or entertainment setting, and is self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible, and able to juggle multiple responsibilities while maintaining an unwavering attention to detail. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of the VFX industry, VFX production workflows, and how those workflows translate to legal requirements. This is a demanding and fast-paced role that requires passion, curiosity, and significant initiative. Our aim is to find a resourceful professional who can both support our business in current ways of working, and provide the adaptability and creativity needed to keep pace and help drive innovative new approaches and solutions.
The professional we are seeking must:
• have at least 3 years of relevant experience either in a legal environment (law firm or in-house legal department) or working closely with entertainment production and/or visual effects;
• possess solid contract drafting and negotiating skills;
• demonstrate substantive knowledge of contract law principles;
• have strong organizational and project management skills, allowing many projects to keep moving simultaneously; and
• be familiar and comfortable with business cultures around the world.
The successful candidate will also possess the following abilities and traits:
• the ability to maintain a team-oriented approach while also making independent decisions under tight deadlines with imperfect information;
• the ability to discern when process is an encumbrance and when it is an efficiency driver;
• a solution-oriented mindset, with the ability to take projects over the finish line;
• the willingness to tackle matters, and the capacity to contribute effectively, outside one's area of expertise;
• the willingness to adapt and embrace change with enthusiasm;
• the courage to challenge prevailing assumptions, and the insight to suggest better approaches;
• a knack for making connections that other miss; and
• a default approach that favors sharing information openly and proactively.