Junior Music Clearance / Licensing Associate & Junior Music Business Affairs Associate
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix has developed the Music Business & Legal Lab, an entry-level training program designed to help paralegals and other executives transition to careers in music business & legal affairs. The goal of the Lab is to provide on-the-job training and development as a path to focusing on a role either in music clearance/licensing or business affairs. Following the completion of the Lab, the Junior Music Clearance/Licensing Associates and Junior Music Business Affairs Associates will be assigned to work with in-house music business & legal affairs executives on Netflix originals ranging from scripted series to feature films.
The curriculum will include (but is not limited to):
-Entertainment law basics with a focus on music to build a solid foundation of knowledge of how music and music rights are involved and addressed in content production and content distribution.
-The nuts and bolts of how a studio and distributor operate and how music and music rights are handled from both a studio and distributor perspective.
-Music 101, including drafting various music-related agreements such as services agreements (composer, music supervisor, music producer, songwriter) and licenses (master use and synchronization).
-Instruction and Q&A sessions with subject matter experts across a variety of music disciplines (business & legal affairs, music licensing, music contract administration, cue sheets, distribution/PROs and data & technology) and studio disciplines (finance, production, intellectual property, union and labor).
• Have a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a practicing paralegal or a minimum of three (3) years working in music clearance/licensing or business/legal affairs in the film, television or music industries.
• Possess a strong and demonstrated passion for music.
• Thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment, possess a high level of curiosity, be results-oriented, and exhibit the highest personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics.
• Be self-motivated, disciplined, highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
• Thrive and align with our exceptional business culture.
• Possess strong written communication skills, with a passion for drafting language that is clear, precise, thoughtful, direct and refined.
• Possess clear and concise communication skills with the ability to break down and succinctly articulate complex issues and present thoughtful questions.
• Exhibit strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
• Be tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.
• All applicants must submit a resume and a brief explanation of why they are interested in the program. You cannot upload two documents so please upload your statement and resume as one pdf.
• Application deadline: Wednesday, July 17th, 2019.
• Acceptance to the lab will be on a rolling basis. Early application is strongly encouraged due to limited program capacity.
• Prior applicants may re-apply and will be re-considered.
• Positions will primarily be based in Los Angeles;
• Relocation assistance will not be offered for these positions.