Full Time Job
IP Counsel (EMEA)
As IP Counsel, your intellectual property experience enables you to work across any situation that may be encountered related to a production. You aren't phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when shooting a film, series or documentary. You can navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, production departments, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when an IP issue arises. You have experience evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective.
This is an opportunity to shape the future of entertainment. The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over process
The role will report to Director of IP based in London. Travel throughout Europe and occasional travel to the US will be required (when it is safe to travel again).
• Experience working as an IP lawyer in a content or entertainment-related field (including sports, advertising, tech, gaming, production, music, theatre, broadcaster or law firm specializing in those industries).
• Though not required, production clearance experience in film and/or television is a plus. This includes managing production personnel, script researchers and outside vendors, and negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
• Knowledge of the IP legal space in EMEA, including awareness of, or relationships with world class law firms and vendors.
• Deep understanding of IP law in a European, Middle Eastern, or African country/countries, including copyright, moral rights, trade marks, fair dealing, rights of publicity/privacy, defamation, and freedom of speech. Experience in German IP law is a definite plus.
• Experience with complex copyright transactions and/or chain of title review and analysis.
• Experience managing heavy workflow independently.
• Demonstrated curiosity about how different backgrounds and cultures affect us at work, and a commitment to acknowledge and work past implicit biases that we all have.
• Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative thinking.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment interacting with productions, cross-functional departments, and vendors.
• Highly collaborative and responds positively to change and new ideas.
• Curious and eager to tackle legal IP matters outside your current area of expertise.
• Fluency in a non-English language is a strong plus, but isn't required.
• Sense of humor!
• Identify IP-related risks in our content and communicate them to the necessary stakeholders, including trademark, copyright, defamation, or similar content risks.
• Collaborate with business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution of content.
• Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
• Work with our global trademark team to help analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches.
• Manage intellectual property claims in a pre-litigation context, collaborate with our litigation team on IP litigation matters in EMEA.
• Implement production clearance strategies for EMEA content.
• Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions.
• Negotiate and draft license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
• Rapidly respond to production clearance issues.
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers all over the world.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content; that doesn't always come from Hollywood. As we scale our original content in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), our IP team is in search of an intellectual property counsel to advise film and television productions and executives on all matters related to intellectual property issues across EMEA. Those include chain of title research, title clearance, production clearance, IP enforcement, claim defense, and negotiating license agreements. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, and legal teams that create Netflix's great content. This role can be based in our Amsterdam, Berlin, or London offices.