Game Director, Games Studio
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We're looking for a creative and highly-skilled Game Director to help us forge the game direction and creative vision on a brand-new AAA PC game. As Game Director, you will be the creative leader of one of Netflix's first generation of internally developed original games. You will provide the vision and direction for the game from the concept phase, through production, launch, and live operations. The right candidate will bring industry-leading craft expertise and attention to detail to generate the vision for a game that is high quality, emotionally resonant, iconic, and full of heart. Creating a great game that players want to come back to repeatedly is our primary goal - you will be able to create, ship and run a game without any competing design constraints due to monetization.
We're building the foundation for a small, but ambitious team of creators. We're looking for that group of key leaders who are aligned with our core values, and care deeply about the experiences they create as well as the people they make them with. Those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix as we seek to entertain the world. We have over 200 million paid members in over 190 countries, and we won't stop there.
• Develop, champion and continuously improve and iterate on the core creative vision for the game
• Collaborate with the core leadership team (TD/AD/PD) to develop structure, plans, and process to realize the vision for the game
• Deeply understanding, and then synthesizing all the unique advantages and opportunities that will be provided by the Netflix Games platform into a cohesive vision for a massively successful game
• Develop the world/characters/narrative that are worthy of a Netflix film/TV series
• Own the development of core game features from initial concept, through spec and prototype, to full implementation, along with your staff of talented game designers
• Implement initial game features within the game prototype in Unreal Engine; Focus on rapid prototyping to quickly iterate to ''find the fun''
• Collaborating closely with the team to develop the concept into a prototype that builds conviction in the vision
• Helping scale the team into full production then launching and operating the game.
• Develop and maintain a single source of truth about the game world, characters, universe, and narrative to assist with onboarding new team members, and help with expansion of the IP into other media.
• Collaborate with teammates by providing and receiving creative/team feedback, improving others' creative contributions, and providing clear creative goals
The Ideal Candidate
• At least 10 years of game design experience, including experience as a Creative Director, Game Director, or comparable design leadership role
• Shipped content that is directly the result of the candidate's work that can be reviewed - level designs, gameplay mechanics, metagame features, etc.
• Can balance innovation with what is tried and true to develop a game that can appeal to 10's or 100's of millions of players around the world
• Extensive experience working on live service games; Deep understanding of highly engaging content and how to deliver it
• Deeply passionate about social systems and gameplay - both cooperative and competitive
• Proven track record of delivering clear and consistent creative feedback that elevates other team members' work
• Thrives as a member of a cross-functional multidisciplinary team
• Communicates with authenticity, intention, and curiosity
• Proven track record of empowering their lieutenants to make decisions and implement initiatives with limited oversight
• Gets excited by learning new skills, dashing to pitch in, even if this means flexing beyond this role's core responsibilities if it can help us win
• Experience with FPS and/or Third Person Shooter games is preferred
• Los Angeles Preferred (as the product needs demand)
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - $500,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.