Experimentation and Causal Inference Intern, Data Science and Engineering
NetflixLos Gatos, CA
Part Time Paid Internship
Netflix is reinventing entertainment from end to end. We are revolutionizing how shows and movies are produced, pushing technological boundaries to efficiently deliver streaming video at massive scale over the internet, and continuously improving and personalizing how content is presented around the globe.
Throughout our business, Netflix employs a simple but powerful approach to product innovation and decision making: we ask our members, through experiments (online or quasi), which of several possible experiences resonate with them. To support experimentation at scale, we continuously invest in our democratized experimentation platform that supports contributions of metrics and inference methods from users of all backgrounds, and permits experimenters to use these building blocks to develop flexible and powerful workflows. We are always looking to improve our decision making capabilities by exploring, developing, and implementing new approaches to the design and analysis of randomized experiments, and by leveraging approaches from observational causal inference.
We are looking for individuals with the following qualifications:
• Pursuing a graduate degree (Master's or PhD) entering 2nd year or later in Fall 2023, at an accredited university and authorized to work as a summer intern in the USA
• Engaged in relevant research into online experimentation, sequential experimentation, adaptive experimentation, observational causal inference, or a related area.
• Experience programming in R and/or Python.
• Curious, self-motivated, and excited about solving open-ended challenges at Netflix.
• Great communication skills, both oral and written.
Nice to have:
• Past publications in relevant conferences or journals.
• Comfortable with SQL.
• Experience with version control systems such as git.
What will you learn and do?
• You will learn about real-life decision-making challenges at Netflix, and help us develop innovative solutions.
• You will learn broadly about how the Data Science & Engineering organization at Netflix strengthens and helps optimize all aspects of our global entertainment business.
• You will collaborate with stunning colleagues in the Data Science & Engineering organization and beyond.
• You will hone your skills manipulating and applying inference methods to truly massive data sets.
• You will have the opportunity to present your work at key internal forums within Netflix.
The Summer Internship
At Netflix, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups based on interests and skill sets, and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Netflix is a unique place to work and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about our culture.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, with a choice of a few fixed start dates in May or June to accommodate varying school calendars. Our summer internships in 2023 will be located - depending on the team - either in our Los Gatos, CA, or in our Los Angeles, CA, office.
Netflix is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine internship top of market. We use on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific internship team, degree, and years of education to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for Netflix Internships is typically $40/hour - $110/hour.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only hourly rate), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.