Exhibition Engineer, External Screenings
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
In this day of boothless cinemas and projectionistless theatrical teams, the need for people who know how to set up exceptional exhibitions is greater than ever. This need doesn't solely live in theaters, as many consumers are consuming more and more content in their homes or on their mobile devices. While many of these devices may be improving from the factory, some setup is required to achieve that optimal viewing and listening experience. Netflix is in need of individuals who strive for excellence in every aspect of exhibition, from the largest outdoor cinema, to the smallest mobile device.
The Exhibition Engineer will lead the delivery of a stellar exhibition of the content that our creatives and cross functional partners have worked so diligently on in order to spread joy to the world. This can mean something as simple as verifying a TV and AVR are working correctly and pressing play, to collaborating with our cross functional partners to create full theatrical premieres in non-conventional spaces such as the historic Apollo Theater or the Teatro Colon Bogota. The ability to grasp the technical details of the picture and sound and translate that to layperson speak can mean the difference between the experience being an enjoyable one or not for the filmmakers and other creative partners. The need to work effectively in a team to exercise good judgement and further educate those around you is critical to maintaining the expertise for cutting edge technologies across a growing team.
In this role you will:
• Participate in potential screening venue site surveys, and report back to your team as well as cross functional partners.
• Create and review detailed designs for theatrical layout in non-standard theatrical spaces.
• Partner with Post Production teams, Creative Technology and Production Technology to ensure we create the best possible experience as we meet or exceed our Netflix Technical Specifications
• Engage and vette global theatrical engineering vendors to provide support for screening setup around the world through developing and conveying exhibition standards.
• Maintain our existing screening spaces and support Internal Screening Services in providing calibrated and reliable experiences for filmmakers and creatives working on Netflix Originals
• Effectively communicate venue capabilities with Screenings/Theatrical Operations to provide an experience that is consistent with the filmmakers intent
• Participate in the commissioning and deployment of new exhibition spaces within Netflix
• 5 years of experience in post production or theatrical exhibition
• Ability to manage a heavy volume of work
• Strong organizational skills with proactive mentality
• Troubleshooting skills with a strong emphasis on long term solutions versus immediate fixes
• Knowledge of theatrical exhibition workflow, including DCP creation, KDM management, and theatrical specifications
• Familiarity with theatrical equipment such Barco, Christie, QSC, and Dolby
• Knowledge of digital audio and video file formats
• Existing relationships with outside vendors including rental houses and engineering firms
• Ability to respond after hours for important, timely, or urgent matters
• Team-player who thrives in a fast paced, team-oriented setting
• Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace
• College degree preferred or additional technical certificate programs
• Ability and willingness to travel often for work, including international travel