Full Time Job
Director, Music - International Originals and Original Series (UK)
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a Director, Music - International Originals and Original Series (UK) who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of International Originals and Original Series content produced outside of the U.S. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
Netflix's Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our London office and reports to the Director, Music in the Los Angeles office who leads the studio side of the Music Business & Legal Affairs Group.
Based in London, this unique and exciting role focuses on providing music business, legal and strategy support for Netflix original series produced outside the US. Are you a fan of The Crown or Black Mirror? Or do you lean more towards series like Dark, 3%, or Money Heist? This acclaimed series content is produced by 2 teams, the International Originals team and the Original Series team, and this role offers the opportunity to work with both teams. The role will therefore have broad responsibility and unique insight into multiple aspects of our business and the opportunity to work with a wide swath of internal and external partners.
include overseeing all music business and legal affairs matters during production: from structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements with composers, songwriters, artists and performers, to handling music licensing issues (synchronization and master use) originating outside the U.S market. The role will also negotiate and draft music terms in content deals, rights acquisition deals and production agreements with third-party production and co-production partners and third party licensors of content.
Given this broad scope of responsibility, the ideal candidate will have: expertise in the music market for series or film production in the UK and other key series/film production hubs throughout EMEA; a thorough understanding of the music nuances in producing for local markets vs producing for global distribution; and immersive, hands-on experience in negotiating commercial terms and legal issues and drafting music agreements for series/film production in those markets.
This role will also be a key partner in building the studio side of the London-based team. We expect the studio side of the Music Business & Legal Affairs Group in London to grow and are also seeking a Counsel role and Music Licensing Manager in London to support these production initiatives. This role will be the manager for the Counsel role.
As a Director, Music - International Originals and Original Series (UK), your vast music production experience enables you to handle any situation or crisis that may be encountered on a production. You've seen it all and aren't phased by the last minute surprises, on set and off set, that inevitably arise when shooting a series or film. You expertly navigate those situations to arrive at the best solution for the production and the studio. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, producers, finance, production, post production, credits, labor, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music issue calls. You know the PACT MU agreement, how orchestral sessions operate under it, and the sections under which global studios record. You are comfortable evaluating risk and have the confidence to make quick decisions when faced with the exigencies of production. You think creatively, have impeccable judgment, are comfortable with exploring new transaction models, and flexible in pivoting within a strategy when needed. You may produce locally but you think globally.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
• 10 years of series/film production music experience, including direct, hands-on experience in structuring, negotiating and drafting composer, performer and featured artist agreements, master use and synchronization license agreements, music producer agreements, record company and music publishing waivers;
• Thorough understanding of the music nuances in producing locally vs producing for global distribution;
• In-depth knowledge of music copyright and the series/film production process - from pre-production, production and post production to music clearance/licensing to composer engagement/recording through to delivery, cue sheets and launch;
• Practical knowledge of the music and technology industries, including active relationships with music agents, lawyers, managers, music publishers and record companies;
• Comfort and flexibility in working with different laws and practices across territories;
• Understanding of labor and guild agreements covering the recording of music such as the PACT MU agreement; and
• Understanding of the evolving CMO, theatrical, VOD and TV landscapes.
• Experience providing in-house support in a television or film production company is highly preferred.
• Fluency in other languages is also highly preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Exceptional drafting and project management skills
• Negotiation and communication style that is adaptable to local markets
• Willingness and enthusiasm to travel internationally
• Clear, concise and effective communication skills
• Highly-collaborative work style, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas
• Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment
• Resourcefulness and ability to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment
Netflix is changing the way more than 137 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and as we bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe, it's an exciting time to work at Netflix.