Director, Music Business Affairs, International Originals
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Music Business Affairs, International Originals (Spain and Latin America)
Netflix is changing the way more than 148 million subscribers around the world enjoy entertainment. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries and as we bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe, it's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a Director, Music Business Affairs, International Originals (Spain and Latin America) who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of International Originals content produced in Spain, Mexico and other Latin American countries. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment of freedom and responsibility where passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (https://jobs.netflix.com/culture). A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
Netflix's Music Business & Legal Affairs Group is currently based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. We are expanding our reach and this role will be based in our Los Angeles office or Mexico City office and will report to the Director, Music in the Los Angeles office who leads the studio side of the Music Business & Legal Affairs Group.
This unique and exciting role focuses on providing music business, legal and strategy support for Netflix Original Spanish-language programming, whether produced in Spain, Mexico or other regions of Latin America. Are you a fan of La Casa de Papel, Club de Cuervos or Siempre Bruja? This acclaimed series content is produced by the International Originals team and this role offers the opportunity to work with the business, creative & production teams responsible for the creation of this content. The role will therefore have broad responsibility and unique insight into multiple aspects of our business and the opportunity to work with a wide range of internal and external partners.
include overseeing all music business and legal affairs matters during production from structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements with composers, songwriters, artists and performers, to handling music licensing issues (synchronization and master use) originating in these regions. The role will also negotiate and draft music terms in content deals, rights acquisition deals and production agreements with third-party production partners and third-party licensors of content.
Given this broad scope of responsibility, the ideal candidate will have expertise in the music market for series or film production in-region; a thorough understanding of the music nuances in producing for regional markets vs producing for global distribution; and immersive, hands-on experience in negotiating commercial terms and legal issues and drafting music agreements for series/film production in those markets. The successful candidate will partner closely with other teams working on Spanish-language Originals -- Legal, Intellectual Property, Content, Physical Production, and Production Finance -- and will be an integral part of the growing Netflix team in Mexico City. He or she should be extremely comfortable counseling business partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impacts, and should be adept at developing and fostering relationships with his or her counterparts within the local production community.
As a Director, Music Business Affairs, International Originals (Spain and Latin America), your vast music production experience enables you to handle any situation or crisis that may be encountered on a production. You've seen it all and aren't fazed by the last minute surprises, on set and off set, that inevitably arise when shooting a series or film. You expertly navigate those situations to arrive at the best solution for the production and the studio. You understand the dynamics among directors, writers, producers, finance, production, post production, credits, labor, marketing, publicity, content localization, business affairs and legal affairs and know when and how to engage and align the appropriate teams when a music issue calls. You are comfortable evaluating risk and have the confidence to make quick decisions when faced with the exigencies of production. You think creatively, have impeccable judgment, are comfortable with exploring new transaction models, and flexible in pivoting within a strategy when needed. You may produce locally but you think globally.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
• 10 years of series/film production music experience, including direct, hands-on experience in structuring, negotiating and drafting composer, performer and featured artist agreements, master use and synchronization license agreements, music producer agreements, record company and music publishing waivers;
• Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
• Thorough understanding of the music nuances in producing locally vs producing for global distribution;
• In-depth knowledge of music copyright and the series/film production process - from pre-production, production and post production to music clearance/licensing to composer engagement/recording through to delivery, cue sheets and launch;
• Practical knowledge of the music and technology industries, including active relationships with music agents, lawyers, managers, music publishers and record companies;
• Comfort and flexibility in working with different laws and practices across territories;
• Understanding of the evolving CMO, theatrical, VOD and TV landscapes.
• Experience providing in-house support in a television or film production company is highly preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess the following
• Exceptional project management and organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail
• Negotiation and communication style that is adaptable to local markets
• Willingness and enthusiasm to travel internationally
• Clear, concise and effective communication skills (written and verbal)
• Highly-collaborative work style, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression
• Ability to prioritize and work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment
• Resourcefulness and ability to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Curiosity and eagerness to continue learning and to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment
• Ability to respond after hours for important, timely or urgent matters
• Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information