Director, Global Sustainability & Public Policy
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without adverts or commitments.
The Global Policy Specialist (GPS) team is seeking a director who is a seasoned expert in all aspects of policy issues relating to environmental sustainability, with a particular focus on climate & energy, and ideally a solid understanding of the entertainment and/or tech industries.
The position may be based in the United States or Europe, where Netflix has an office (for example, Los Angeles or Washington D.C.; or Brussels, London, or Paris). The role will report to the VP lead of the GPS team, with a dotted reporting line to the Netflix Sustainability Officer.
The GPS team is part of Netflix's Public Policy group -- a highly talented and experienced group of policy experts who work in close partnership with their business counterparts to advance the strategic goals of the company. GPS consists of global specialists in the areas that are of material importance to the business, and partners with our regional public policy teams around the world (e.g., tax, competition, IP, piracy, tech policy etc.). GPS is also responsible for identifying global trends and creating strategies for global policy issues.
The Director will be a key member of the global Public Policy and Sustainability teams, both by supporting other team members in defining and achieving the company's public policy and sustainability objectives and taking direct responsibility for a variety of projects related to those objectives. In general, the Director will work with peers in countries around the world to write policy briefs, meet with policy makers, monitor legislative and regulatory initiatives, and communicate with stakeholders and partners.
The right person for this role must have comfort with ambiguity, and be able to make quick, well-informed decisions with an entrepreneurial approach. They will embody our Culture of Freedom and Responsibility and be willing to invite, receive and promote constructive feedback. We're looking for a thought leader who isn't driven by title or scope (in employee numbers) but by the impact they can make to our public policy objectives. Having excellent judgment and concise and candid communication is a must, along with an ability to work collaboratively, proactively and independently.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional with at least 10 years of public policy experience around climate, energy policies and products across a range of markets (and ideally with some experience of the tech and/or entertainment space). The successful candidate will also have:
• Experience working with Governments and other official bodies.
• Experience working with third party organizations in this area of policy (think tanks, research institutes etc.)
• Knowledge of and understanding of the global, regional and local climate/environmental legislation around key parts of the world.
• Understanding of the entertainment, production and content business would be an advantage, but not required.
Role & Responsibilities
The role will include at least the following:
• Partnering closely with the business (including Netflix's Sustainability Office) to achieve Net Zero emissions by 2022 (see public commitments here), spur change across the value chain, further raise environmental awareness through the Content slate, and integrate Sustainability into the consumer proposition.
• Honing, executing and operationalizing Netflix's proactive public policy strategy around climate change -- across the value chain and Netflix's business.
• Building strong external industry relationships and allies in policy circles to lead and shape policy dialogue around sustainability.
• Advocate on new law proposals and regulations to ensure we have the flexibility to meet our sustainability goals.
• Identify opportunities to discuss our commitments with policymakers, the first of which is to Net Zero emissions by 2022.
• Work with trade associations and other industry allies on trade issues to better advance our position and represent Netflix in relevant trade and industry groups.