Director, Content Delivery Public Policy
NetflixLos Gatos, CA
Full Time Job
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without adverts or commitments.
The Opportunity: The Netflix legal and public policy team is a highly talented and experienced group of lawyers and public policy experts who work in close partnership with their business counterparts to advance the strategic goals of the company.
The Global Policy Specialist (GPS) team is seeking a director who is a seasoned expert in telecommunications public policy. The GPS team consists of global specialists in the areas that are of material importance to the business and partners with our regional public policy teams around the world. We are also responsible for identifying global trends and creating strategies on global policy issues.
The Director will be a key member of the global Public Policy team, both supporting other team members in defining and achieving the company's public policy objectives and taking direct responsibility for a variety of projects related to those objectives. In general, the Director will work with peers in countries around the world to write policy briefs, meet with policy makers, monitor legislative and regulatory initiatives, and communicate with stakeholders and partners.
The Director will work closely with the Netflix Open Connect team. The goal of Netflix Open Connect is to provide our millions of Netflix subscribers the highest-quality viewing experience possible. We achieve this goal by partnering with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to deliver our content more efficiently.
The right person for this role must have comfort with ambiguity, and be able to make quick, well-informed decisions and have an entrepreneurial approach. They will embody our culture of Freedom and Responsibility and be willing to invite, receive and promote constructive feedback. We're looking for a thought leader who isn't driven by title or scope (in employee numbers) but by the impact they can make to our public policy objectives.
The candidate will be a seasoned professional with at least 10 years of telecommunications public policy experience, which could include working for a company, government agency, or non-governmental agency. Successful candidates will have experience navigating regulatory and legislative bodies and working with advocacy organizations.
The ideal candidate will have experience advocating on telecommunications policy from a variety of perspectives.
Experience working on the following issues across multiple jurisdictions is highly preferred:
• Net Neutrality frameworks around the world, including how the core non-discrimination provisions should apply to access charges at points of interconnection.
• Interconnection policy as it relates to ISPs and telcos.
• Broadband deployment and the policy levers governments can employ to achieve universal connectivity.
In addition, the right candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Strong network technology background with ability to to clearly present Netflix Open Connect concepts and activities for audiences of various sizes and levels of understanding
• Passionate and familiar with Internet technology concepts and their use by CDNs and ISPs
• Familiarity with the economics of running internet networks in various jurisdictions
• Have excellent judgment and concise and candid communication
• Be able to work proactively and independently