Director, Content Accounting - Series
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Our goal in content accounting is to ensure timely and accurate financial information for a rapidly expanding business. Do you want to have a leadership role in assessing and deciding how we account for content in our financial statements? Are you curious and invested in and looking to contribute to automated workflows for Accounting? Do you enjoy using and analyzing data to affect critical business decisions? If yes, we are looking for you to be an innovative thought leader and people leader for our original series content accounting team. This role brings together the best of technical and operational accounting practices with our business strategy. This leader and their team will drive strategy and innovation in our workflows and accounting policies. We are looking for an innovative subject matter expert who is equally well versed in technical accounting and the operationalization of accounting policies. In addition to significant subject matter expertise, this leader will need to be skilled at working cross functionally and be equal parts analytical and pragmatic.
This role is located in Los Angeles, California, and reports to the Content Controller.
• Be a thought leader on accounting policies and workflows (including systems development) for our original series content. This leader will answer such questions as: What is the fundamental differences and similarities between owned productions and licensed content and do these impact our policies, workflows, deal structures and forecasts? Are our internal controls strong enough and flexible enough to mitigate material financial errors while also ensuring simplicity and nimbleness?
• Represent accounting in various strategy and alignment meetings with management at Director, VP and Officer level.
• Set the short, medium and long-term strategy for the accounting for content accounting (people, process and systems).
• Own and ensure the timely and accurate monthly close of all aspects of content , including internal and external reporting. You will always be iterating towards making this process scalable and informative.
• Oversee coordination of internal and external audit requests, and the development of and compliance to internal controls for both corporate reporting and production activities.
• You have a minimum of 15 years of experience in accounting backed by a bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance. Some entertainment and public accounting experience is required. An MBA or CPA license is required.
• You embrace and advocate the Netflix culture and our long-term view.
• You have a superior and deep knowledge of ASC 926 & 920 and production related activities and their practical application to business workflows, policies.
• You are never satisfied with the status quo; you are always thinking of how to make existing processes better (more efficient and meaningful) and you are open to new or challenging ideas as presented by others.
• Have keen judgment, make sound independent decisions, and know how to listen to others, prioritize issues and when to escalate matters.
• Are comfortable with analyzing data to make informed conclusions. You are curious and deeply invested in learning about things beyond your own area of responsibility.
Fueled by the broad appeal of the instantaneous enjoyment of unlimited original and licensed movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to nearly 150 million paid memberships around the world. As a company, Netflix brings together the best of entertainment and technology for our members around the world. Powered by a work culture that's focused on high performance and continuous improvement, this is a great opportunity to join and lead a team that is spearheading the global accounting for content for the world's biggest Internet TV network, serving millions of members content they can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, in 190 countries.