Data Engineering Manager, Studio & Creative Production Dse
NetflixLos Gatos, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix shows and films are produced around the world and watched by more than 221 million accounts globally, reaching new audiences every day. We aim to give content creators the opportunity to bring their most visionary ideas to life and create joy for our members around the world through innovative storytelling.
The Studio and Creative Production Data Science & Engineering teams help enable and inform the planning, production, localization, and promotion of Netflix content. Even before filming or animation begins, Netflix Production teams are hard at work preparing for the complex operational challenges of producing live-action and animation content all over the world. Even after the content has been produced, our investment in making content successful has not ended. When a Netflix member opens our app, we have a few precious moments to help them choose a story that is right for them at that moment in time. Presenting evidence -- Artwork, Trailers, and Synopses -- that authentically represents each title and resonates with the member is essential to this effort. We also work to ensure that our global members can enjoy content in their choice of language through dubs, subtitles, and descriptive audio.
Achieving consistently enjoyable experiences for our members through this process is a tall order, but our production managers, visual effects teams, art designers, video editors, animators, and more are experts in their craft. Perhaps a more unique aspect of Netflix is that these teams deeply leverage data to inform their decision making as they go about their tasks. Our role is to help these teams leverage data-driven methods such as reinforcement learning for Artwork & Video assets personalization and optimization methods for Studio Production workflows to drive better outcomes for our business.
Given this rich landscape for data & insights, we are looking for a seasoned leader to manage our team of Data Engineers, based in either Los Angeles or Los Gatos. This team owns the core Studio and Creative Production data models that power analytics and machine learning models, partners with Platform and Engineering teams to build and steward complex data pipelines, and sets best practices for data storage, access, and usage by analytics engineers, data scientists, and software engineers throughout the company.
As a leader in this space, you will…
• Hire, lead, and develop a stunning team of Data Engineers
• Partner with other teams in Data Science & Engineering to ideate, organize, and execute on analytical projects
• Steer deeply impactful work on core Studio data products with Engineering, Machine Learning Infrastructure, and Data Platform partners
• Lead innovation at Netflix by leveraging the right state-of-the-art methods in data architecture, engineering, and modeling to solve business problems
This role may be for you if…
• You have been leading data engineering teams for 5 years
• You have a proven track record leading innovative, influential data engineering work in complex business domains
• You are a crisp communicator who develops strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
• You are deeply invested in creating an inclusive team environment and helping each team member grow
• You are an experienced partner for Engineering, Machine Learning, and Data Platform teams; able to drive alignment on shared components and advocate from a data engineering perspective
• You have deep technical expertise in one or more aspects of data engineering (e.g., data warehousing, data modeling, data processing)
• You're comfortable with a collection of Big Data tech (S3, Spark, Elasticsearch, graph databases) and cloud-based (AWS) application development
You will have the opportunity to impact the business in a meaningful way, working alongside smart people who love to solve hard problems, and who not only expect but also foster high performance. You will have the freedom to innovate, solve interesting problems and influence decision-making in a fast-paced, exciting environment. You can learn more about the Netflix culture at jobs.netflix.com/culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that an inclusive work environment builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.