Counsel, Post-Production & Studio Operations
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
With over 193 million subscribers enjoying great original content streaming in over 190 countries, it is an exciting and innovative time to work at Netflix. Our company is continuing to change the way people around the world enjoy entertainment, and to increase the audiovisual and storytelling quality that viewers expect. A critical component of that effort is engaging and partnering with a wide variety of post-production and studio/production operations service providers around the globe to help make the vision of our content creators come to life. To sustain our ambitious content efforts and build a truly global brand providing great-looking and great-sounding content, it is critical that we properly structure and execute the legal framework between our productions and the services partners that contribute to our content.
Netflix is seeking a Counsel to be part of the Studio Operations & Partnerships team within the Content Legal organization. This legal professional will work closely with existing Counsel on the Studio Operations & Partnerships team, as well as the Post-Production business department, the Studio/Production Operations business department, the Physical Production Legal group that supports the needs of our various film and episodic series productions, and other cross functional partners throughout Netflix. The Counsel will generally support the drafting and negotiation of master agreements and handling related legal issues pertaining to areas such as post-production, media processing and delivery, asset management, lighting and grip, production equipment and studio production logistics. The Counsel will also help devise the contractual framework and manage day-to-day issues in connection with existing and new Netflix vendor programs. In addition, the Counsel would ideally drive increased efficiency by developing, implementing, and assisting post-implementation with templates, workflows and frameworks to help establish measures for a more systematic approach in contracting for Post and Studio/Production Ops.
The professional we are seeking must:
• have a J.D. degree (or international equivalent);
• have at least 3 years of relevant experience drafting commercial agreements within a legal environment (law firm or in-house legal department);
• possess solid contract drafting and negotiating skills, with a strong familiarity with vendor/supply-chain/services agreements;
• demonstrate substantive knowledge of contract law principles;
• an ability to understand and explain efficiently how legal concepts apply into practice;
• have strong organizational and project management skills, allowing many projects to keep moving simultaneously; and
• be familiar and comfortable with business cultures around the world.
The successful candidate will also possess the following abilities and traits:
• the ability to maintain a team-oriented approach while also making independent decisions under tight deadlines with imperfect information;
• the ability to discern when process is an encumbrance and when it is an efficiency driver;
• a solution-oriented mindset, with the ability to take projects over the finish line;
• the willingness to tackle matters, and the capacity to contribute effectively, outside one's area of expertise;
• the willingness to adapt and embrace change with enthusiasm;
• the courage to challenge prevailing assumptions, and the insight to suggest better approaches;
• a knack for making connections that other miss; and
• a default approach that favors sharing information openly and proactively.