Counsel, Original Stand-Up Comedy
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix seeks an attorney to join the Original Stand-Up/Sketch & Alternative Comedy Formats business & legal affairs team to handle a wide array of responsibilities related to the licensing, development, production, and distribution of Netflix's original stand-up comedy, sketch and alternative formats content initiative.
The successful candidate will work closely with the entire Original Stand-Up/Sketch & Alternative Formats Comedy team (e.g. Content, Production, Finance, Marketing) and take on wide-ranging responsibilities including, structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements necessary in connection with licensing, developing, and producing the company's sketch comedies (on-going series and specials), stand-up comedy specials (with such talent as Ali Wong, Amy Schumer, Hannah Gadsby, Dave Chappelle, & Jerry Seinfeld), Netflix Is A Joke Comedy Festival, and Netflix is a Joke Radio SiriusXM initiative and should be comfortable counseling business partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impacts.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix continue to shape the future of television. The legal team at Netflix is focused on collaborating with its business partners to help foster innovation. The successful candidate will be excited and inspired by the Netflix culture.
The successful candidate will have approximately three (3) years of development and production business and/or legal experience in the film or television industry, with experience drafting all forms of development, licensing, production and/or distribution agreements. Familiarity with the development, production, and multi-platform distribution of stand-up comedy, variety shows and/or docu-series programming and general industry knowledge is a plus. Fluency with related documents/issues (e.g., content acquisition, production services agreements, talent agreements, chain-of-title review) is appreciated.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment, interacting with internal and external parties across multiple territories and time zones.
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• A commitment to embrace and advocate for inclusion is essential.
• Working cross functionally to maintain alignment between departments and teams.
• Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required.
• High level of organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and time- manage across multiple deadlines