Counsel - Minors, Immigration & Diligence
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Counsel - Minors, Immigration & Diligence (Animation)
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments. Visit our culture memo and long-term view to learn more about our unique Netflix culture as well as the milestones we will achieve in the future.
Netflix is seeking a Counsel to be part of the Minors, Immigration & Diligence (MInD) team within Production Employment Legal. The MInD team is responsible for setting and implementing global practices across the Netflix Studio to help our productions be thoughtful, innovative, and consistent with respect to global immigration requirements for cast and crew, minor protection, child labor compliance, and more. In a culture that supports judgment and innovation as key competencies, this position will have the responsibility of managing and overseeing compliance with immigration and best practices/legal requirements for working with minors in relation to all of the projects within the Netflix Animation Studio.
• As MInD Counsel you will work with internal business partners in Talent/Recruiting, Animation HR, Production Management, Business & Legal Affairs, to assess and recommend strategic approaches regarding immigration, child labor/minor protection, during the planning and production phases for Netflix Animation projects.
• We are on an exciting growth journey that involves an expanding slate of global animated productions. You will be part of a team who works together to understand the relevant legal requirements in various countries, developing new workflows, sourcing new vendors, and educating cross-functional partners on the requirements and regulations in these countries.
• This role will be responsible for providing end-to-end immigration support for Netflix Animation Studio productions, including liaising with outside counsel, third-party production partners, and talent reps; preparing and reviewing immigration documents; and advising key internal stakeholders throughout the visa journey.
• This role will oversee child labor compliance for all Netflix Animation Studio productions and activities involving minors, including advising on all applicable local child labor regulations and union/guild rules, including outside of the U.S.; preparation and filing of all necessary child labor permit applications; tracking; and working with outside counsel and vendors, all in close partnership with other internal teams.
• This role will provide minor court affirmation support to internal Business and Legal Affairs partners, including guidance on which countries allow minors to disaffirm, which countries have provisions by which employers can affirm or ratify contracts, and support throughout the process of affirmation/ratification, including preparation and filing of all necessary documentation.
• We are focused on efficiency and serving the needs of production. Part of that means evolving with the business as it grows, which will require this role to establish innovative processes and workflows and identify areas for improvement.
To be successful:
• You have some prior experience with global immigration and/or child labor compliance for a network/studio or some transferable experience. If it's the latter, please feel free to explain in a cover note.
• You regularly exercise great judgment and can articulate sound reasoning for your decisions.
• You have strong attention to detail and an ability to work well with changing information.
• You possess excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
• You are effective and concise in your communications.
• You are a team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment .
• You are resourceful and take the initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem solving.
J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is preferred, but optional.