Counsel, Employment Legal - EMEA
Full Time Job
Netflix seeks an Employment Counsel to join our growing team in EMEA. We are looking for someone who has great passion for the Netflix brand and our content, and who wants to be a part of our global team of employment lawyers who use their legal knowledge and experience in the most practical and risk tolerant way possible to support our ever-growing business.
This position is based in our EMEA head office in Amsterdam, but with our rapid expansion across EMEA, this person would work across offices in London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid and soon Rome. The role reports to the Director, Employment Legal - EMEA also based in Amsterdam. Next to him, you'd be working closely with our other Director, Employment Legal - EMEA based in London, and the team's leader and Global Director, Employment Legal based in Los Gatos, California. Our other global employment lawyers on the team in APAC and LATAM will also work closely with you, but as per our culture, you'll be flying solo before you know it.
We have multiple corporate offices and a large slate of local language original series and films being produced all across the region in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This means that we have a wide array of different roles and employees based across our EMEA offices. From Marketing to Business Development and from Tax to Physical production. All these teams are supported by an amazing HR/Talent team and employment legal. While part of this job would be to handle issues on productions, the main focus, especially over time, will be to provide support to our corporate offices. This means that you could be joining a call on how to set up our new entity in Italy in the morning, negotiate a termination in Spain after lunch and have a discussion about benefits with the French CSE in the afternoon. Believe me, there is still time to watch your favorite show.
Some other examples of what you'd be doing:
• Main focus: Advise on all corporate employment matters in close collaboration with members of HR (Talent), Employee Services, Employment Tax, Mobility & Immigration.
• Subsidiary focus: Support EMEA content productions with employment-related matters in EMEA;
• Provide subject matter expertise and, when appropriate, train on a broad range of employment issues, including recruiting, contingent workers, employment practices, and terminations, including with respect to Netflix corporate employees and cast/crew on productions shooting in EMEA, as well as supporting our other employment legal team members in EMEA on these issues as needed for other EMEA countries;
• Proactively identify, assess, and balance employment law risk, and be able to offer practical, business - oriented and creative solutions in partnership with the business teams;
• Stay current with, and advise Netflix on, meaningful employment-related legal developments;
• When necessary, help investigate incidents and/or complaints and manage employment-related litigation in EMEA;
• Actively collaborate with the global Employment Legal team on projects and issues;
• Select, manage and use outside counsel effectively; and
• Support Netflix's commitment to maintaining a diverse and inclusive harassment-free workplace.
The successful candidate will be a qualified lawyer in an EMEA jurisdiction and have 7 years of experience preferably in an employment department of a respected firm and/or in-house experience counseling on employment issues throughout EMEA. The ideal candidate is aware that they thrive in an environment where freedom and responsibility are core values, and passion, innovation, collaboration, and curiosity are essential.
It's an exciting time for Netflix with continued rapid expansion into original programming around the world; it's a great time to join our team. As Netflix expands, we continue to look for the best and brightest talent to scale with our growth opportunities. Visit our culture memo and long-term view to learn more.