Counsel, Content & Brand IP
Full Time Job
Counsel, Content & Brand IP (Brazil)
This role will be focused primarily on our Brazilian content, and will be based in our Alphaville office outside of São Paulo. Reporting directly to our head of IP for Latam in Los Angeles, onboarding will occur in Los Angeles during the first several months in the role, and regular travel will be required--mostly between Los Angeles and Brazil---but also throughout Latin America.
• 8 years experience of working as an IP lawyer in the entertainment industry.
• Extensive experience in filmed entertainment and the production process, with experience managing film and/or television production personnel, script researchers and outside vendor, and negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
• Deep knowledge of IP law in Brazil (and working knowledge of IP law in other LatAm markets), including all issues related to copyright, brand protection, personality rights, and principles of free speech.
• Production clearance experience in film and/or television.
• Experience with chain of title review, analysis and copyright transactions.
• Experience managing heavy workflow independently.
• Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative thinking.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
• Highly collaborative and responds positively to change and new ideas.
• Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Fluency in Portuguese is required. Spanish is a huge plus (but not required)!
• Law degree required.
• Sense of humor!
• Identify IP-related risks in our content and communicate them to the necessary stakeholders.
• Collaborate with business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
• Develop and manage strong relationships with leading law firms that specialize in entertainment and IP.
• Coordinate IP strategy claims with local counsel.
• Implement production clearance strategies for Brazilian and other LatAm content.
• Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
• Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions.
• Negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
• Rapidly respond to production clearance issues.
• Serve as internal, cross-functional expert on all areas of Brazilian IP law.
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries.
To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content. That doesn't always come from Hollywood. From 3% to O Mecanismo, to Coisa Mais Linda and beyond, we want to tell the stories of Brazil. To make it happen, our Content IP team is in search of an experienced intellectual property counsel to advise film and television productions and executives on all matters related to intellectual property and related issues, including chain of title research, title clearance, production clearance (e.g., copyright, trademark, defamation, clearance), IP enforcement, claim defense, negotiating license agreements, among others. This role will closely collaborate with the creative, business, and legal teams that create Netflix's great content.
As IP Counsel, your intellectual property experience enables you to work across any situation that may be encountered related to a production. You aren't phased by the last minute surprises that inevitably arise when shooting a film, series or documentary. You can navigate those situations while allowing your studio colleagues to fulfill their creative and business goals. You understand the dynamics among showrunners, executive producers, line producers, production departments, marketing and creative, and know when and how to align the appropriate teams when an IP issue arises. You have experience evaluating risk with imperfect information and have the confidence to make quick decisions. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you are able to improve upon systems to gain efficiency. You are passionate about the entertainment industry and are excited to learn more about the business from a non-traditional perspective.
This is an opportunity to shape the future of entertainment. The successful candidate will love working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. That candidate will also thrive in an environment that values thoughtful efficiency over process, and knows how to work with organizations that may not hold the same beliefs.