Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs - Unscripted Series
Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen.
Netflix seeks an experienced and intellectually curious business and legal affairs attorney to join its Unscripted Series Business & Legal Affairs team. This team is responsible for the acquisition, development and production of content such as Nailed It, Too Hot to Handle, Baking Impossible, My Next Guest with David Letterman, and Formula One. The successful candidate will work as part of the company's Business & Legal Affairs Content Team headquartered in Los Angeles to structure, negotiate and draft agreements with studios, networks and producers/distributors to acquire, produce and distribute content to Netflix subscribers globally. The attorney will interface with third-party production companies and be involved in overseeing all facets of multiple third-party productions.
This attorney will own all business and legal facets of making an unscripted series including: negotiating the commercial terms for projects, papering them, and then overseeing production-legal and clearance issues for their projects as well as providing support for the team's projects. They will have the opportunity to directly manage communications both externally with production partners, and internally with many cross-functional departments within Netflix.
We are looking for someone with substantial experience in the development, production and licensing of unscripted or documentary television and/or film, and who has direct experience handling production legal and negotiating and drafting deal terms for a variety of related agreements, including production services agreements, above-the-line agreements, access agreements, co-production agreements and production forms.
A successful candidate will also possess the following:
• JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar or international equivalent.
• Five or more years of business and/or legal affairs experience television or film development and production.
• Experience providing in-house support and managing outside production counsel OR experience serving as outside production counsel.
• Experience advising on substantive areas of the law relevant to unscripted television, such as defamation, copyright, trademark, chain of title and privacy rights.
• Excellent leadership, supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
• Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a very fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside of expertise.