Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs, International Originals - APAC
Full Time Job
With over 125 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it is an exciting time to work at Netflix. Our international efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries around the globe and we are excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers everywhere.
Netflix is growing its presence in Asia and, as part of the Singapore team, you will help define the Netflix brand and shape the future of entertainment throughout Asia, in a team environment where collaboration between legal and business thrives. In 2018, Netflix will invest $8 billion in content globally and we'll continue to focus on investment in original content all over the world.
Netflix seeks a seasoned and intellectually curious entertainment counsel to join Netflix's growing International Originals initiative, which is focused on creating local language content in a variety of international markets, e.g., Dark (Germany), Ingobernable (Mexico), Midnight Diner (Japan) and 3% (Brazil). The successful candidate will be a key member of the Asia content team, based in Singapore, and will work closely alongside business and creative partners, producers and local counsel to structure content production agreements and harmonize Netflix objectives within production frameworks, with a focus on South East Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan. In doing so, the counsel will be responsible for learning and implementing the legal landscape and production customs necessary to develop and produce local content for Netflix's global digital streaming platform. As a result, the ideal candidate will be very comfortable counseling business partners, collaborating with global partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization and thrive in communicating in a global environment.
The successful candidate will have 7 to 10 years of post-qualification legal experience, and broad-based entertainment experience in production, media financing, licensing and/or distribution. Experience with Asian markets is required.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside their area of expertise
• Strong communication skills (candor, honesty, tact)
• Strong analytical (strategic and creative) capabilities and judgment
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work in a small group, tackle all challenges and take initiative
• Ability to work closely with and manage outside counsel
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented
• Adaptable negotiation style
• Passion for Netflix's strategy and different cultures
• Comfortable traveling internationally
• Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills are advantageous