Counsel, Animation Business & Legal Affairs - EMEA
Full Time Job
Please note that this role will be permanently based in Amsterdam, our EMEA HQ.
With millions of subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it is an exciting time to work at Netflix. Our efforts have brought Netflix to virtually all countries around the globe, and as we continue to scale our content, we are looking for top talent to join our teams and help propel our growth around the world.
The Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) division of our Animation Series team is seeking an experienced, intellectually curious business and legal affairs attorney to help support our new and rapidly growing animated programming business. This team is central to Netflix's growth strategy, and focuses on developing and producing animated original series from across the region.
In this role, you will help develop business and legal affairs strategy across the region and be responsible to structure, negotiate and draft agreements necessary to develop, produce and/or license animated programming from rights acquisition through production, post-production and exhibition on Netflix's global streaming service. You will be familiar with doing business in the region (with an emphasis on France, Spain, and the UK), have a strong understanding of commercial terms for animated programming in-region, and an awareness of the animation landscape, producers and rights holders in-region more generally.
The successful candidate will partner closely with cross functional teams working on International animated series in the region -- Content, Intellectual Property, Physical Production, Consumer Products, and Production Finance -- and will be an integral part of the growing Content Legal group in EMEA. They should be extremely comfortable counseling business partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impacts, and should be adept at developing and fostering relationships with their counterparts within the EMEA production community.
The position will be based in Amsterdam and will require significant travel throughout the EMEA region.
• Proven years of post-qualification experience at a law firm, production company, studio, talent agency, or other media company in EMEA with a focus on development and production matters in the animation space.
• Direct experience drafting and negotiating all forms of rights acquisition and production agreements for animated programming (including both above-the-line and below-the-line agreements)
• Practical knowledge of the industry, producers and distributors throughout the region.
• Must speak fluent English, and additional French language fluency is a plus.
• Experience with consumer products and kids focused intellectual property and franchises is also a plus.