Clearance & Rights Analyst, Content & Brand IP
Full Time Job
Clearance & Rights Analyst, Content & Brand IP (Europe)
As a member of the Content & Brand IP Team, you will support vital components of our intellectual property practice, and be an integral resource for Netflix's business and production teams. Your production clearance experience allows you to make fast decisions about risk with imperfect information. You are at heart, a practical problem solver. Your eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you excel at quickly helping to piece together the jigsaw puzzle of a rights situation. You are excited about the challenge of making a wide-variety of programs. You think outside the box, challenge long-standing assumptions, and look for opportunities to innovate. You also have experience of communicating across different levels of the business with diverse viewpoints. The successful candidate will be one who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets and passion and curiosity are mandates. The role is ideal for someone who is comfortable in a constantly changing environment.
The role will report to Director & Senior Counsel, Content and Brand IP based in London. Some travel throughout Europe and occasional travel to the US will be required.
• Legal qualification optional.
• Deep understanding of how filmed entertainment is developed and produced.
• 3-5 years of legal clearance experience in film and/or television advising productions on intellectual property, personal rights, and defamation issues.
• Understanding of UK/EU copyright, trade mark and defamation law, and its role in evaluating production clearance and/or chain of title.
• Familiarity with chain of title in connection with rights acquisitions in the media industry.
• Experience negotiating and drafting license agreements for a wide variety of production materials.
• Experience managing multiple projects and fast-paced clearance activities with production personnel, clearance firms and licensors of production materials and organizing a high-volume of scripts, research reports, license agreements and other clearance documents.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to drive efficiency and think strategically about production clearance, and risk tolerance.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to effectively work collaboratively and cross-functionally with people having diverse viewpoints and interests.
• Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Fluency in a European language is a plus but not required.
• Sense of humour!
• Review scripts, evaluate art, wardrobe, props and other production materials for clearance issues. Negotiate licenses when necessary.
• Conduct chain of title review and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
• Conduct due diligence on rights acquisitions.
• Implement efficient workflows for production clearance and chain of title review.
• Keep apprised of developments in the entertainment industry and adjust Netflix's rights and copyright-related practices accordingly.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with outside counsel and vendors.
• Document and template management.
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment with one simple goal: to bring people joy. Our international efforts have brought Netflix's service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries. To bring joy to global audiences, we need truly global content; that doesn't always come from Hollywood. As we scale our original content in Europe, our Content & Brand IP team is in search of a Clearance & Rights Analyst in London to advise film and television productions on clearance matters related to intellectual property issues, personal rights, defamation and license agreements, and help navigate the complex intellectual property rights deals that underlie Netflix's Originals programming.