Brand and Editorial Manager, Films
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 151 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Do you love movies? Do you have a Top 10 Films of 2019 list in the back of your head? Yes? Keep reading!
The editorial team at Netflix is on the pulse of conversation among our consumers - not just listening, but participating in and starting thoughtful, hilarious, exciting discussion with fans across social, podcasts, and more. Though part of the larger marketing organization, this team's work is unique in that we express a firm perspective on content in the way a traditional media outlet would. As our film slate continues to grow, we're looking for a journalistically minded social expert to evolve and shape that perspective for the most discerning, particular segment of Netflix members - cinephiles.
To be a successful brand & editorial manager in this role, you'll need to have excellent judgment to balance the needs of the community and the needs of our business. You'll not only be thinking through new ways to talk about Netflix original films, but also our library of licensed content and larger cultural moments that shape conversation for our audience. A handle on the news cycle and daily content is as important as a knack for weaving all of this into a narrative about what it means to be a film buff who loves Netflix.
• Develop and maintain an editorial tone and perspective for the Netflix Film handles that matches the needs of a cinephile audience
• Create and advance long-term strategy to move the Netflix Film voice into new platforms and spaces
• Work with Audience Development team to meet ambitious growth goals without compromising creative integrity
• Manage a team of freelance writers, video producers, agencies and production companies
• Build relationships within and outside Netflix to increase the access and credibility of the Netflix Film brand
• Advocate for the Netflix Film audience by working cross-functionally with publicity, media buying, creative marketing, and content team to create a regular cadence of high-impact moments
• Build and manage budgets. Stay on top of social media trends, news and other timely events to seize on reactive opportunities. Use internal and external social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy and detect new opportunities
• Regularly interact with filmmakers, talent, and press to build understanding and trust of Netflix Film and the overall editorial initiative at Netflix
• Be experimental with content, take risks with what you're creating, and don't be afraid of, well, being a bit weird!
The ideal candidate is/has....
• Deep knowledge of the entertainment landscape and target audiences
• A background in entertainment media, preferably specific to film
• The ability to tell an engaging, cohesive story across a wide variety of platforms and placements
• Respect and understanding for Netflix culture - no brilliant jerks
• Meaningful experience working directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets. You'll be presenting our marketing plans to show-runners, producers, talent, and executives. You should be a strong presenter; confident and collected
• At least a passing familiarity with video production and creating high-performance assets for social, and a willingness to learn these skills fast if needed
• Strong perspective with flexibility to graciously and gracefully pivot when new information is presented
• Clear, effective communication skills and the confidence to advocate for our team and our audience in a room where talent or executives may have differing opinions
• Strong global IQ and is comfortable working with teams from different regional markets
• Thorough understanding of the social media landscape: building and managing fan communities, platform best practices, and consumer behavior
• Solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics and can apply a data-centric approach to the testing and optimization of campaigns
• High tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
Background and skills
We're looking for an excellent writer with a strong voice. Someone who's willing to be hands-on and manage communities themselves out of pure passion for the audience, but also able to teach and translate that skill to a team and put it to paper as a larger consumer-facing strategy for one of the most exciting parts of our business.
You are comfortable operating within the traditions of the film industry, but keen to push its boundaries and willing to take risks where others won't. Impeccable taste in film is a must, as well as an ability to engage critically with a wide variety of genres.