Below The Line Production and Legal Associate: Business and Legal Lab
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix has developed the Below The Line Production Legal Lab, an entry-level training program designed to help lawyers, paralegals and experienced production personnel transition to careers in production legal affairs. Following the completion of the Lab, the Below The Line Production Legal Coordinator will be assigned to work with BTL Production Legal Team on Netflix originals ranging from scripted series to regional/international series to feature films.
The curriculum will include but not be limited to:
• Entertainment law basics, to build a solid foundation of knowledge in content production, distribution and intellectual property.
• The nuts and bolts of production, including drafting employment agreements, engaging episodic directors, producers, casting directors and production department crew heads.
• Production 101, including above-the-line and below-the-line agreements and providing thoughtful production oversight.
• Instruction and Q&A sessions with subject matter experts across a variety of disciplines, including creative development, finance, physical production, business affairs, risk management, intellectual property, marketing, social media, union and labor, music and technology.
Requirements for Ideal Candidates:
• Must be highly-organized, self-motivated, quick-thinking, flexible, and able to juggle multiple responsibilities on a large portfolio of Netflix's Original Content productions.
• -Have a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a practicing paralegal or a minimum of three (3) years working in entertainment
• Thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment, possess a high level of intellectual curiosity, focus on generating results, and exhibit the highest personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics.
• Be self-motivated, disciplined, highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
• Understand and align with our unique business culture.
• Possess strong written communication skills, with a passion for drafting language that is clear, precise, thoughtful, direct and refined.
• Exhibit strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
• Tech-savvy, including proficiency with Google Suite and cloud-based document and database systems.
• Have the ability to respond positively to change and be respective of new ideas.
• Ability to embrace and advocate for cultural diversity.
• Possess an undergraduate degree and/or have experience in television or film production (e.g. unit production manager, production coordinator, location manager).
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of television and film across the globe.
What does our Below the Line Team works on:
• Draft and review production and third-party agreements (e.g., vendor rental agreements, equipment rental agreements, aviation (helicopter & aircraft) agreements, drone agreements, watercraft agreements, location agreements, stage/facilities lease agreements, lab agreements, main title agreements, special effects and visual effects agreements).
• Draft forms for use in connection with hiring of production employees (Line Producer Agreements, Casting Director Agreements, Crew Deal Memos, physical production department head agreements (Director of Photography, Production Designer, Costume Designer, Visual Effects Supervisor, Editor); Episodic Director's agreements; and certificates of authorship & engagement).
• Assist in preparation of production documents for submission to tax credit applications.
• Work internally with the production, business, risk management, safety, labor, credits teams in addition to externally with the line producers & production personnel regarding day-to-day legal issues during prep, principal and post-production.
• Work with other members of the legal team to help manage deliverables for legal delivery.
• All applicants must submit a resume and a brief explanation of why they are interested in the program. You cannot upload two documents so please upload your statement and resume as one pdf.
• Application deadline: Wednesday, July 17th, 2019.
• Acceptance to the lab will be on a rolling basis. Early application is strongly encouraged due to limited program capacity.
• Prior applicants may re-apply and will be re-considered.
• Positions will primarily be based in Los Angeles;
• Relocation assistance will not be offered for these positions.