Archive Manager, Physical Assets & Archives
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Netflix Studio Archive is looking for it's founding member! Do you have a love of history and preservation of objects? Interest in entertainment, film, tv and media? This is an amazing opportunity to help grow a team as well as preserve a collection from its infancy phase. The intent of the archive is to be a thoughtfully curated collection of title-based, screen-used or story based physical objects that can be accessed for research, promotion, display and exhibition in partnership with internal cross-functional and external partners. The archive will become a physical representation of Netflix Studio and it's titles, and help shape and promote the brand for years to come.
We are seeking high-level leadership with extensive knowledge of establishing an infrastructure, budgeting, physical object preservation & conservation practices as well as collections and exhibition procedures to build and grow the Netflix Studio physical archive. Knowledge of production workflows will be instrumental as the role develops and implements internal workflows and operational infrastructure to identify, catalogue and preserve a collection of physical objects representing Netflix branded titles.
The Archive Manager will be part of the Physical Asset and Archive team and will be integral in establishing workflows for the identification and selection of key, screen-used physical assets from Netflix branded titles for long-term preservation. The role will develop and manage the intake process of archival assets from production, facilitate requests for outgoing loans & internal partner needs (Awards, PR, Events), and consult on external displays, exhibitions and research as needed. They will engage with cross-functional partners, develop departmental procedures, internal workflows and be responsible for facility management , implementing collection management systems and growth of the department.
An ideal candidate will have a background in archival operations and management, budgeting, collections management, database control, digital asset management, exhibit curation and design, preservation and research facilitation. They are highly organized, able to lead and grow a team and are engaged in their field. The individual should know how to communicate well in person and via electronics. Interest in entertainment and media is preferred but not required.
include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and implement company wide strategies and procedures for the acquisition, processing, digitization, and preservation of title-based physical assets
• Appraise current collection and make recommendations for acquisition of new objects and deaccessioning of existing objects
• Develop and maintain digital and asset management workflows
• Organize and streamline complex information utilizing multiple Netflix tools and systems as well as online, department resources to pull missing or absent archival data
• Develop strategies and implement policies and standards for the archive by hiring, supervising and training additional staff, as appropriate
• Advise and assist in the use of archival objects in marketing, PR and event activities
• Consult on exhibits, publications, presentations, instructional sessions, and other outreach activities as needed
• Develop documentation and reporting process for all archival object loans (loan agreements, condition reports, COIs, and pro forma invoices)
• Onsite travel, coordination and oversight as needed
• Coordinate documentation and logistics for outgoing loans (object handling, packing, shipping, insurance, preparation, courier responsibilities, security, condition reporting) and install/de-install planning and coordination
• Any other duties as necessary to support the productions and the growth of the department
• 10 years experience in archive management, budgeting and development of archival management procedures. Experience with 3D collections preferred
• Experience in large scale data migration (metadata, assets, etc.)
• A strong understanding of digital asset management systems, both front and back end (and the willingness to learn a new one and another new one)
• Masters in Library & Information Sciences (relevant, commensurate experience will be considered)
• Ability to supervise multiple projects and people in a fast paced environment
• Strategic thinker with the ability to be flexible in the role as needed
• Access to and knowledge of archival vendors, systems, and peer community
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness to take educated risks and think outside of the box
• Willingness to contribute effectively and transparently; adapting and embracing change with enthusiasm