Sr. Counsel, Music Business & Legal Affairs
NbcuUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
The Sr. Counsel, Music Business Legal Affairs will negotiate music agreements and be responsible for handling music-related legal issues for NBCUniversal, including television programming for Universal Studios Group (USG), which includes our studios, Universal Television, Universal Content Productions, and Universal Television Alternative Studios, our broadcast network, NBC, our cable channels, and our streaming service, Peacock. Representative types of deals include recording artist deals, songwriter, music publishing and co-publishing deals, soundtrack distribution deals, music producer deals, composer deals, licenses, label waivers and similar documents. The Sr. Counsel, Music Business & Legal Affairs will also advise clients on intellectual property, copyright infringement, fair use, ephemeral use, parody, clearance, rights-related and regulatory issues, union issues, performing rights, among other issues arising out of programming. The NBCUniversal Music Business & Legal Affairs department oversees music matters across the NBCUniversal businesses, including Filmed Entertainment and Parks & Resorts. Although this position will be primarily dedicated to the television networks, streamer and studios, the Sr. Counsel, Music Business & Legal Affairs may also assist other clients across the business, as needed.
• Negotiate deals and draft, review, and interpret contracts and other documentation.
• Advise clients on strategy for music related issues.
• Provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues, and propose practical, responsive solutions.
• Vet content as requested.
• Partner with NBCUniversal business executives, as well as colleagues in the Law Department, to discuss and implement best practices and formulate new processes in connection with business needs.
• Advise on union compliance matters.
• Create and update forms.
• Other matters at the direction of the SVPs and/or EVP of Music Business & Legal Affairs.
• Member of California bar, or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
• A minimum of six years of music business and legal practice.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
• Willingness to work nights and on weekends if needed
• Must submit transcripts and analytic writing samples
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Outstanding academic credentials.
• Highly motivated, highly effective self-starter with strong track record of successful project execution
• Ability to manage one or more staff members
• Ability to manage multiple clients with competing deadlines and business priorities
• Outstanding analytic and organizational skills, including excellent drafting and negotiation skills
• Sound, practical business judgment; adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters and priorities, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience communicating with various audiences and levels of management with strong client-support and service orientation
• Ability to develop strong relationships with multiple business units and their representatives
• Teamwork-oriented attitude; demonstrated experience and willingness to perform at a high level as a team player
• Demonstrated ability to execute and follow-through with minimal supervision; work well independently
• Flexibility to grow in the role as our business pivots and expands
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point and other related tools