Senior Vice President, Legal
NbcuNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Vice President, Legal, Nbcu News Group
NBCUniversal News Legal Group
The NBCUniversal News Group legal team provides editorial and transactional legal support to NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, E! News, and the news divisions of NBC's local owned television stations and Telemundo. The legal team is located primarily in New York City, with some News lawyers in New Jersey, Miami, London and Singapore.
The Senior Vice President, News Group, is the primary business and commercial lawyer to the News Group. The SVP oversees a broad range of commercial and digital technology transactions, provides strategic advice to senior executives, and leads a team of transactional attorneys. The position is based in New York and reports to the General Counsel of NBCUniversal News Group.
• Counsel News Group Business Development and other senior executives on deal strategy, negotiation, contract structure and contract performance, and dispute resolution.
• Negotiate, draft and oversee legal support for: technology and other vendor deals that enable content creation, distribution and monetization; content licenses to third parties and platforms, and content acquisition for use and display on News Group platforms; partner, sponsor, and affiliate deals and other strategic transactions; and other general commercial agreements. Substantive deal areas include, for example, joint ventures, streaming and audio distribution, advertising technology, software acquisition, subscription services, e-commerce, and events.
• Lead a team of 4 transactional attorneys and contribute to the News Group's senior legal team.
• Partner with specialists across the company on media law issues, finance, tax, insurance, labor and employment, intellectual property, privacy and IT security.
• Mentor and support lawyers within the News Group; contribute to an inclusive, collaborative team culture; demonstrate leadership; and take initiative to drive the commercial success of our news business.
• 14 years of transactional legal experience counseling clients in the news, media or entertainment industry.
• Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school or comparable educational institution in the relevant jurisdiction. Member in good standing of the State Bar of New York, or another State Bar and registered as in-house counsel.
• Deep knowledge of legal issues pertaining to linear, digital, streaming, and mobile display and distribution of content.
• Strong background in intellectual property, including copyright licensing.
• Management experience.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Must have work authorization to work in the United States
• Stellar negotiation, drafting, problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Decisive practitioner; skilled at explaining complex legal issues in a timely, concise, straightforward manner.
• Demonstrated ability to: think commercially and creatively; develop strong working relationships; and exercise sound, practical judgment, accepting reasonable levels of risk.
• Demonstrated passion for news.
• High level of integrity and professionalism.