Senior Legal Counsel - Scripted / 12-Month Ftc
Full Time Job
Role title: Senior Legal Counsel - Scripted / 12-month FTC
Employer: Carnival Films
Report to: Head of Business & Legal Affairs
NBCUniversal are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. Accessibility Statement | NBCUnicareers
We are proud to be a disability confident employer' but pls include our commitment after this. 'We are proud to be a disability confident employer and weâ€™ll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Carnival Films is a London-based television and feature film production company, and part of NBCUniversal International Studios, a division of Universal Studios Group. Led by executive chairman and producer Gareth Neame, the company is one of the UKâ€™s leading drama producers, having produced hundreds of hours of compelling content viewed around the world.
Carnival Films produced all six seasons of the much honoured and beloved series Downton Abbey, which aired in over 250 territories worldwide and set a Guinness World Record for being the most critically well-received show in the world. The company produced the hit feature film of the same name which earned more than $193 million at the worldwide box office, making it the highest grossing film of all time for distributor Focus Features. Recent Carnival Films productions include The Last Kingdom for Netflix, Belgravia for ITV and EPIX and Jamestown for Sky One.
Having received more than 200 international awards and honours including Primetime Emmys, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, Carnival has produced landmark series including Poirot, Hotel Babylon, Whitechapel and Dracula, as well as award-winning mini-series such as Traffik, Any Human Heart, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies and The Hollow Crown anthology. Carnival Films has also been recognized as the UKâ€™s best production company at both the Bulldog and Broadcast Awards.
This Senior Counsel role sits within the Legal & Business Affairs London-based team of Carnival Films, reporting to and supporting the Head of Business & Legal Affairs.
• Manage the day-to-day legal and business affairs matters arising in connection with the development, production and financing of Carnivalâ€™s productions.
• Negotiate, draft and review the full range of agreements in the context of UK film, television and digital development and production (e.g. development agreements, production commissioning agreements, co-production agreements, first look agreements as well as contributor, talent, location, facilities, supplier and access agreements)
• Provide advice and support, as required, on all UK scripted programme-related legal and business affairs activities including clearance, negative checking, rights licensing and general contracting.
• Ensure that production activities are in full compliance with applicable laws and regulations in all relevant territories and with the companyâ€™s corporate compliance policies and best practice procedures.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• A qualified lawyer with significant post-qualification experience ( 5 years).
• Expertise in feature film and/or television is essential, ideally in the area of scripted.
• In-house experience is highly desirable.
• Hands-on experience of the types of contracts and agreements handled in the role is essential.
• Experience of advising or working with broadcasters, distributors and producers on intellectual property issues is highly desirable.
• Experience gained in a leading law firm or multinational company with an international outlook.
• Strong educational background.
• Ability to work as a productive team member in a legal, commercial and finance environment.
• Ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and to demanding internal and external clients. Must be highly organized, fast and efficient.
• Ability to achieve optimum legal and business outcomes in a timely manner by focusing on key objectives, seeking efficient legal solutions, prioritizing multiple issues, and avoiding unnecessary disputes.
• Detail-oriented, methodical, and able to assess strengths and weaknesses of various positions.
• Strong commercial sense.
• Confident, concise and persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
• An enthusiasm for and interest in the media in general and television in particular.
• Ethical and responsible.
• Resourceful, outgoing, intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges in a demanding environment.