Counsel / Sr. Counsel
NbcuNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Counsel / Sr. Counsel, Nbcu News Group
NBCUniversal News Group Legal
The NBCUniversal News Group legal team supports NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, E! News, and the news divisions of NBC's local owned television stations and Telemundo. The News lawyers work closely with journalists and News Group leaders to provide timely, practical, and strategic advice in support of our journalism and expanding news business.
The Counsel/Senior Counsel will serve as a news content and media lawyer to all News Group journalists, primarily to counsel on media law and intellectual property issues.
• Advise News Group journalists working across platforms including linear television, streaming, digital, social and audio, in support of daily news programming, commentary, investigative reports, documentaries, entertainment and lifestyle, true crime, financial journalism, and unscripted programming.
• Conduct pre-broadcast and pre-publication review.
• Advise on newsgathering and access issues.
• Counsel on copyright and other intellectual property matters.
• Advise on pre- and post-publication threats and challenges.
• Respond to subpoenas and other third-party requests for information.
• Craft and deliver legal training for the newsroom.
• Advise on legal and regulatory issues related to, among other topics, sponsored editorial content, e-commerce, issue and political advertising, and elections.
• Implement and counsel on News Group policies that protect our integrity, accuracy and independence.
• Monitor legal developments affecting the press and freedom of speech.
• Partner with specialist lawyers across NBCUniversal's Legal Department, including on litigation.
• Contribute to an inclusive, collaborative, and creative team culture.
•5 years of legal experience, including experience advising news clients on media law and publication issues (with more experience required for Senior Counsel candidates).
•Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school or comparable educational institution in the relevant jurisdiction. Member in good standing of the State Bar of New York, or another State Bar and registered as in-house counsel.
•Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered
•Must be willing to work in New York, NY
•Strong knowledge of media law and ethics.
•Ability to: counsel journalists in a fast-paced environment; partner with journalists to deliver compelling, diverse and visually engaging stories; and give clear, succinct, and practical legal advice that enables broadcast and publication.
•Passion for news and press freedom.
•High level of integrity and professionalism.
•Strong writing, analytical, and problem-solving skills.