Sr. Music Licensing Specialist
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
The Sr. Music Licensing Specialist, Music Business & Legal Affairs will provide comprehensive operations support, vital administrative services and wide-ranging music clearance related functions with a strong emphasis on the review and negotiation of music licenses, bill back licenses, payment processing, thorough tracking and review/ potential submission of music cue sheets for the â€œThe Kelly Clarkson Showâ€. The Kelly Clarkson show is the critically acclaimed, uplifting daytime destination for humor, heart and connection featuring Emmy® Award winning talk show host, Grammy® Award winning artist and America's original idol, Kelly Clarkson. The hourlong program, produced and distributed by NBCUniversal Syndication Studios, is the highest rated talk show to debut in seven years. It features a mix of celebrity guests and everyday people, performances, games and Kelly's unfiltered perspective on life, relationships, parenting and things that make her laugh along the way. â€œThe Kelly Clarkson Showâ€ airs in 100% of the country on more than 200 stations. This position does not include any music creative responsibilities including with respect to consulting on music placement in production (i.e.: music supervision).
Provide complete music services for production; including but not limited to the following areas:
• Responsible for assisting with all facets of cue sheet administration, including, without limitation, creation, review, research, revision, submission, archiving and analysis. Cue sheet training and supervision.
• Work with various personnel, internal and external, to ensure all music used is consistent with practices and guidelines for usage.
• Research music for all details pertinent to clearance and tracking; including publisher(s), record label(s), performing rights society(ies) and type of usage.
• Assist in negotiating, drafting and processing music synch/master, bill back, AV licenses and other music related agreements
• Prepare and send out related music clearance correspondence (e.g., intake, checks, licenses)
• Process work for hires including papering, registering cues, uploading fully executed agreements to ELF, maintaining detailed, organized files and securing the physical elements.
• Be internally and externally focused, maintain industry contacts and have a solid understanding of music, the music industry and our business (e.g., internal partners, publishers, labels, music libraries and other related vendors).
• Ensure that owned music elements are properly fingerprinted, tagged, etc.
• Inquiry/claim intake and resolution.
• Liaise, supervise and/or train other areas, both internally and externally, that overlap on music matters.
• Provide support and/or process music license requests, pick-ups, licenses, etc.
• Negotiate fees, terms, etc.
• Liaise with Music Library and other areas as they relate and also support production and promo
• Process payments; set up vendors in system and interact with AP team
• Organize and maintain tracking grids, cost charts and database for production music usage and licensing.
• Provide music guidance (e.g., clearance analysis, estimates, etc.) to the show
• Use internal systems and provide support/input necessary for expansion/upgrades
• Assist with other department projects as they arise; help with overflow; special projects.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
• Minimum 2 â€'' 4 years experience in music clearance for TV production or related area.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word)
• Must be comfortable discussing and using various custom software and providing input on upgrades to internal and external IT development personnel
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered.
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA and some travel may be required
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
• You must submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
• Must have ability to work flexible hours due to production schedules; including evenings and holidays.
• References from previous employers required.
•Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated initiative, self-starter and accountable.
•Excellent interpersonal skills with strong team and client-support orientation (internal and external clients/parties).
•Demonstrated ability to execute and follow-through with minimal supervision.
•Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
•Excellent oral and written communication skills.
•Demonstrated experience and willingness to perform at a high level as a team player.
•Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize work and deal with different clients simultaneously.
•Experience working in a high-paced and pressure filled environment. An ability to work well on projects independently
•Experience with music clearance, music license drafting and review
•Solid negotiating skills
•Knowledge of the current market rate of artists and publishing catalogs.
•Diversified knowledge of contemporary music as well as classic music catalogs and their applicable record labels.
•Strong knowledge of production music libraries.
•A passion for all things music