NBC Entertainment Research Spring Internships
NBC UniversalNew York, NY
Part Time Paid Internship
NBC Entertainment develops and schedules the network's primetime, late-night, and daytime entertainment programming. NBC's quality programs and balanced line-up have earned the network critical acclaim, numerous awards and ratings success, including most recently winning the traditional September-to-May season in primetime's key demo, marking the network's third win in four years. NBC has earned more Emmy Awards than any network in television history.
The NBCE Research & Strategy team targets effective investment in new measurement approaches and analytic tools, with the aim of developing unified cross-platform measurement to improve monetization and program insights across NBCUniversal's television businesses. In addition, the group will provide enterprise-wide research resource coordination as well as institute unified practices across the portfolio.
Daily responsibilities and projects may include (but are not limited to):
• Market Research: The intern works closely with the Market Intelligence group to assist with research projects over the course of the semester; learn and utilize Nielsen Research Application to establish advertising spend, program ratings, and audience impressions; run and distribute daily overnight ratings to NBCE productions and distribution teams; assist with consumer behavior research requests to support sales advertising teams; handle additional administrative tasks as needed. Interns will work on projects over the course of the semester and have the opportunity to attend team meetings and presentations .
• Broadcast Research: The intern will have the opportunity to generate and distribute reports that analyze NBC Entertainment broadcast viewership across age, gender, and countless other demographics, using both television ratings and digital data. The intern will work closely with researchers in both the linear and digital worlds and will have a unique perspective as to how much the television landscape has changed and how quickly that change continues.
• Corporate Research & Strategy: Situated at the cross-section of two departments – Corporate Research and Content Distribution – interns will have a front seat view of NBCU's partnerships with major media companies in the Pay TV space, while also gaining exposure to research initiatives across the broader company. They will focus on data projects related to digital viewing of NBCU's broadcast and cable networks. They will play an active role in maintaining an internal digital reporting tool, gaining visibility into how large volumes of data are ingested, processed, and visualized. Day to day tasks include pulling viewership data using Tableau or SQL, monitoring reporting for accuracy, and performing ad hoc analyses to inform NBCU's data, distribution, and content strategies.
• These internships are ideal for dependable, enthusiastic, and motivated students with career interests in the television industry and a desire to learn linear and digital ratings methodologies; entertainment-focused data analytics; and corporate strategy.
• In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor or Graduate degree at an Accredited Institution and be able to provide documentation to confirm your degree progress.
• Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits)
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the U.S. without a visa or sponsorship by NBCUniversal
• Needs to be able to work on-site in New York, NY
Internships at NBCUniversal are paid and do not require course credit.
Deadline: Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by October 15, 2019.
Program Dates: January 2020 – May 2020.
• Desired Majors: Advertising, Business Administration, Communications, Data Analytics, Finance, Marketing, Media Studies, Public Relations, Research
• Desired Characteristics: Interest in the business aspects of television, basic Excel knowledge, rich numerical and analytical skillset.
• Previous internship experience or on-campus leadership.