Senior Legal Counsel
NBC UniversalSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Senior Legal Counsel (Fixed Term - 12 Months/Maternity Cover)
• Senior Legal Counsel â€'' 12 Month FTC (Maternity Cover)
• Report To: VP Legal & Business Affairs
• Location : Sydney
â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹General Commercial Matters:
Negotiation, documentation and contract review relating to all activities of NBCUniversal's channels business, and related support for its film and television licensing activities, in Australia and in New Zealand, with a primary focus on content acquisition/licensing agreements, general service agreements, marketing/PR/research agreements and advertising sales agreements, and advice on corporate, regulatory and business affairs requirements that relate to each area, and secondary support for channel distribution agreements.
Familiarity with copyright, trademark, defamation and related regimes, including advising on the application of fair dealing exceptions and defamation laws to broadcast and online marketing and production businesses, and for purposes of safeguarding the business' IP rights and brands (including trademarks and trade names).
Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulatory requirements in Australia and New Zealand (including laws/regulation relating to consumer protection, marketing, competition, broadcasting, censorship, and advertising), assist in implementation of internal policies, and provide assistance and training to facilitate compliance with all such laws, regulations and policies, and with NBCU international corporate policies.
Provide assistance to finance/tax teams as required.
Management of company law requirements for local entities in Australia and New Zealand as required.
General Advice and Business Team Support:
Provide legally sound, clearly articulated and practical legal and commercial counsel to business teams as required.
Engagement and supervision of outside counsel as required.
Asia Channels Team â€'' Legal & Business Affairs Support
On an ad hoc basis dependent on capacity, provide support in the above areas (excluding channels distribution) to the Asia Channels teams based in Singapore, in relation to existing channels businesses and new regional business initiatives.
are not limited to the above and may be changed by NBCUniversal at any time.
• Qualified Australian lawyer with significant post-qualification experience, preferably with experience at a law firm in Australia or New Zealand, and/or in-house role at an international broadcast/media/entertainment company.
• Significant experience in contractual and commercial law, and experience with applicable compliance and regulatory regimes, and with company law.
• Good general understanding of laws and regulations applicable to an international broadcast/media/entertainment business in Asia Pacific.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
• Time management capabilities, client-servicing skills and problem-solving abilities.
• Must be able to work independently, to multi-task and to prioritise effectively, and to work calmly and professionally under pressure. A â€œcan doâ€ attitude is essential.
• Must be a commercially minded team player.
• First class drafting skills, with a methodical and detail-oriented approach.
• Strong interpersonal skills â€'' confident, friendly and approachable. Ethical and responsible â€'' lead others by exhibiting honesty, fairness and diligence.
• Ability to travel, as required from time to time.