Senior Editor, Advertising & Program Standards
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
NBC Universal seeks to add a highly motivated individual to our Advertising and Program Standards department. As a Senior Editor, you will work to ensure that advertisements and programs comply with internal and external standards, laws, and regulations while being cognizant of public policy and community acceptability considerations. You will be highly professional with a thoughtful, proactive nature, strong people skills, and the ability to solve problems creatively and collaboratively. You also will be expected to spot issues, think quickly, and make accurate decisions to maintain the integrity of the Network. You must be comfortable engaging in difficult conversations as the nature of the work performed may require engaging with sensitive subjects and potentially problematic content that appears in programming. This position is based in Los Angeles, California, and reports to the Senior Director, Advertising and Program Standards. As we are a bicoastal department, you will be expected to partner effectively with colleagues across the country.
include, but are not limited to:
• Review scripted and unscripted programs at all stages of production to ensure compliance with broadcast requirements, identify standards issues and corporate concerns, make sensitive contextual judgments, and assign Television Parental Guideline Ratings.
• Review advertisements for NBC's linear and digital (including streaming) properties, from concept to final edit to ensure they meet internal brand standards and regulatory requirements.
• Provide clearly articulated verbal and written notes and constructive, practical guidance consistent with NBCUniversal's standards, and FTC, FDA, CARU, and FCC rules and regulations.
• Negotiate and collaborate with internal and external parties, including ad sales, programming executives, writers, producers, creative agencies, advertising agencies, and legal counsel.
• Review and evaluate a wide range of marketing, scientific, and other data submitted in support of advertising claim substantiation.
• Operate delay mechanism for live programming, including after regular working hours, during holidays, and on weekends, as needed.
• Provide guidance in an advisory capacity to business affairs, legal, and marketing, as needed.
• Proactively monitor and analyze department systems and processes and develop and implement innovative ideas that improve the way we work.
• BA/BS degree in a related field.
• At least 3 years of experience working in Standards and Practices (Program and/or Advertising), Trust and Safety, Policy, or Advertising or Production Legal for a broadcast or cable network, streaming service, digital platform or other major consumer entertainment company or content producer.
• Strong strategic thinking, problem solving, and analytic skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to easily adapt to changing priorities, while juggling multiple responsibilities.
• Understanding of streaming platforms and content workflows.
• Ability to teach and mentor others.
• Excellent negotiation and time management skills, with superior attention to detail.
• Self-starter who can work independently.
• Effective team-player with good interpersonal skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to make thoughtful, quick decisions in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong familiarity with PIX, MediaVu, MediaQurator, Freewheel, and other content review platforms.