NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
News Director, E! News
News Director, E! News
Our news team is the driving force behind how we cover breaking news across our digital and linear platforms. The newly created role of News Director will report into the Head of Editorial, Social and News Operations to lead a team of journalists dedicated to breaking news, enterprise reporting and shaping coverage that will serve to continuously grow our audience.
The experienced editorial leader will work closely with the digital, linear and bookings teams to set daily coverage priorities and strategize short and long-term content goals.
The ideal candidate will be able to dive into the details of a news story or craft an eye-catching headline, while also being able to devise and execute on a forward-thinking and data-driven strategy.
The candidate will have an exceptional network of contacts with a proven track record of leading breaking news coverage in the entertainment world. A passion for pop culture is a must as is an intuitive sense of the trending topics that will resonate with our audiences and drive meaningful engagement.
• Create 24/7 strategy and direction for news coverage across platforms.
• Lead E! News' content agenda while liasing between digital and linear staff.
• Be responsible for daily editorial assignments as well as contributing own reporting when possible.
• Provide newsroom leadership direction, coaching, mentoring and supervision to employees.
• Proactively develop a source base, as well as strong industry contacts to help scale the E! News brand across all platforms.
• Closely collaborate with the content strategy and audience development teams to quickly respond to SEO and social media demands to expand, engage, and retain our audience.
• Collaborate with legal team on vetting of stories as needed.
• When required, writing and editing to make sure we're fast on news.
• 7 years working in a high-volume newsroom across multiple platforms.
• Strong leadership skills with past experience managing a big team.
• A thorough understanding of the entertainment news landscape.
• An advanced understanding of analytics and audience development
• A proven winner in breaking news content.
• Impeccable news judgment as well as being an avid pop culture consumer who thrives in the fast pace of breaking news.
• An excellent communicator who can be an inspirational leader to the editorial staff.
• The ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.