Marketing Clearance and Music Licensing Manager
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
The primary function of this role is to assist the Universal Pictures Marketing Department by facilitating timely clearance of music/sound effects/sound design cues while simultaneously ensuring that legal credits/product placement requirements are met in A/V materials. At the direction of Universal Pictures Theatrical Marketing, reviews and tracks work-in-progress trailers, TV spots, digital content, promotional assets, and ancillary materials. Interfaces with post-production finishing teams, creative teams, legal business affairs, clearance and product placement teams, and creative agencies to track materials at each stage of the music and legal clearance process.
• Review cue sheets and manage music clearance for Universal Pictures Theatrical, TV and Digital campaigns from initial testing stages through the finishing phase while negotiating favorable licensing terms and fees
• Draft and maintain music memos, summaries, spreadsheets, buyout agreements and licenses for library sound effects, sound design and custom work-for-hire cues
• Oversee music audio file assets and the organization of the department's music databases for in-house trailer editors, internal departments and creative advertising agencies
• Manage the creation of purchase orders and payments via the SAP Finance Portal and SNAP, ensuring all library and commercial music licenses are paid in a timely manner
• Track, review, and route work-in-progress trailers, TV spots, digital content, and miscellaneous promotional content through Legal Business Affairs and Clearances/Product Placement departments to ensure legal requirements and restrictions are met
• Interpret paid ad summaries and spearhead the creation of A/V billing blocks in compliance with MPA / WGA / DGA rules until approvals are finalized and passed along to post-production editors for trailer and TV placement (US, Canada and International)
• Manage stock footage clearance, licensing, and payment for use in A/V materials
• Mediate the needs of creative executives, brand & in-theater marketing, international teams, legal departments, post-production finishing teams, and creative advertising agencies, balancing the requests of each group to ensure a smooth workflow while meeting tight deadlines
• Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
• Proficient in PC/Mac operating systems, office productivity suites, filesharing and collaborative work applications (Outlook, Teams, Excel, SharePoint, OneDrive). Basic understanding of digital audio formats and secure asset delivery
• Must possess knowledge and understanding of music licensing or 3 year experience in the music/entertainment industry
• Exercise discretion and communicate succinctly, effectively, and tactfully with all levels of management, creative agencies, legal departments and music licensors.
• Maintain and foster good working relationships with internal departments and outside agencies
• Able to handle a high volume of detail-oriented work in a quick and efficient manner
• Can quickly re-prioritize concurrent work and processes in response to changing and sometimes-conflicting instructions, needs, and deadlines
• Maintain, evaluate, and adapt to systems and processes as part of a larger team
• Self-reliant with strong problem-solving skills
• Bachelor Degree in Music
Hybrid: This position has been designated as hybrid, generally contributing from the office a minimum of three days per week.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary Range: $75,000 - $95,000 (Bonus Eligible).
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.