Manager, Human Resources
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
The Technical Services Group is responsible for the day to day and long term operations of the theme park which includes: Ride/Show Maintenance, Facilities and Utilities Maintenance, Central Shops, Vehicle Maintenance, Horticulture, Engineering and Planned Work.
As the HR Manager supporting the Technical Services team, the position will proactively assess business performance to develop HR solutions that enable business strategies, foster leadership success, and drive the employee experience. The ideal candidate will have experience leading strategy development, organization design, diversity and inclusion, and talent management strategies that build client focus, efficiency, speed, and results.
A strong collaborator, the Manager will work closely with HR infrastructure (i.e., Recruiting, Labor Relations, Learning and OD) and functional partners (i.e., Finance, Communications, etc.) to deliver solutions and change management plans that drive sustainable business results. The Manager will also serve as an advisor to the SVP of Technical Services and the leaders of the group regarding HR policies and processes (e.g., merit and promotion planning, performance management and talent planning) in order to optimize employee engagement and productivity.
• Provide HR counsel to the Technical Services team on employee relations issues, ensuring fair and consistent enforcement of policies and practices. Investigate employee work place situations including claims of harassment, discrimination and policy violations.
• Translates near and long-term operating goals into HR processes, projects, and assignments and integrates and initiates work with key stakeholders and functional partners to ensure appropriate solutions are delivered to support business strategies
• Integrates diversity and inclusion strategies into business plans to ensure an inclusive approach to the workplace
• Assists the leadership team in evaluating performance of individual team members and providing guidance regarding development. Ensures people have the right skills, tools and talents to perform their roles.
• Provide advice and consultation for exempt and non-exempt employees on policy interpretation, performance coaching, conflict resolution, career development, etc. Partner with Labor Relations to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements, as necessary.
• Plans and leads organization design and change management projects to streamline and implement new structures, roles and/or processes that create speed and efficiency and support rapidly shifting business demands;
• Lead key HR processes for client groups (salary planning/reward management, performance management and goal setting, succession planning, employee satisfaction survey/ESAT, 360 feedback, etc)
• Support the ESAT team efforts by assisting management with communication and action planning. Collaborate with management on initiatives to improve employee morale and reinforce core values. Develops and drives people engagement strategies that foster an environment where all employees are respected and valued.
• Act as liaison between clients and core staff functions by assisting with rolling out new Company initiatives and communicating information relating to career development, recognition programs, payroll, benefits, training and staffing.
• Mentor and provide guidance to professional staff related to their career goals. Build bench strength within the Technical Services department by identifying training and development opportunities.
• Proactively manage HR systems in order to ensure data integrity. Partner with HRIS on resolving PeopleSoft and Oracle issues. Partner with Timekeeper on payroll problems and resolutions.
• Partner with Labor Relations to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and to assist in resolving grievances.
• Provides support to client groups by interacting and communicating with employees in the park, visiting break rooms and Lead offices in order to promote positive relations and seek out/resolve potential issues. Ensure compliance with Federal, State and local laws.
• Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Management or related field required.
• Minimum 7-10 years of increasingly responsible Human Resources generalist experience, including experience with employee relations, talent acquisition, performance management & organizational development processes/activities, compensation and benefits.
• 3-5 years experience in leading and developing staff professionals
• Proven ability to build, integrate, and lead effective and sustainable programs in applicable functional areas.
• Ability to develop integrated solutions from inception to post-delivery assessment.
• Occasional flexibility with work schedule to meet with 3rd shift employees and when rolling out initiatives or programs to meet the needs of a 24/7 organization.
• Advanced degree in HR management, Organizational Development or Industrial Relations.
• Experience in union/represented environments and supporting the technical side of themed entertainment or manufacturing industry highly preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to drive HR processes and to deliver high quality HR services in a fast paced, high change environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Strong facilitation, influencing and conflict resolution skills.
• Thorough knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience with an HRMS such as SAP and Oracle.