Manager, Environment, Health & Safety
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Environment, Health & Safety (EHS)
The Manager, Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) is responsible for working with assigned television productions to ensure compliance with all applicable company, federal, state, local, and/or international environmental, occupational safety and health policies, rules and regulations.
The successful candidate will be a quick learner with strong communication skills who will use this opportunity to learn from a diverse group of safety professionals tasked with a wide range of production specific environmental health and safety challenges.
The Universal Studios Group Production EHS department is a dynamic atmosphere requiring a candidate with excellent problem solving skills, an ability to prioritize, and a strong desire to increase their knowledge and experience in environmental health and safety.
• Implement and maintain appropriate safety programs, e.g., Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), policies, and procedures to ensure a safe and healthful work environment for all employees and guests of their assigned productions.
• Establish, administer, and enforce a program of safe practices and conduct for all production personnel.
• Conduct pre-lease inspections for potential production spaces to assess and resolve any identified EHS issues.
• Perform script reviews to identify potential EHS issues, e.g., special effects, stunts, unusual activities, and hazardous locations.
• Participate in tech scouts and production meetings, as necessary, to understand scheduled production activities and provide guidance for any unresolved issues.
• Prepare location safety memos, as required, to communicate to the production identified general location safety issues as well as specific location safety items.
• Establish and implement procedures for proper hazardous waste accumulation and disposal as per company policies.
• Facilitate and/or conduct EHS testing of any location that presents potential EHS hazards, e.g. testing water quality, air quality, coordinating abatement and/or encapsulation of areas/materials.
• Review the injury and illness paperwork process with the designated production contact and production medic(s) to ensure paperwork is completed properly.
• Conduct incident and accident investigations and track, review, and analyze all injuries/illnesses and accident investigations for each production to determine trends, root cause, regulatory compliance, and follow-up actions.
• On international productions, work with the assigned local safety professional(s), if hired, to ensure production compliance with all rules, regulations, and company polices.
• Report promptly to company management any injury or incident that triggers federal, state, and/or local reporting regulations.
• Work with SVP Production Safety to realize established short and long-term departmental goals.
• Work with the SVP Production Safety and other EHS Directors/Sr. Managers/Managers/Specialists to ensure consistent application of company policies across all productions and evaluate whether these policies are effective.
• Actively participate in any Production Executive/EHS meetings and weekly EHS departmental meetings and be prepared to discuss issues related to your assigned shows.
• Interface with outside regulatory agencies as required, e.g., Fire Department, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) representatives.
• Participate in the ongoing review of existing EHS programs and creation of new programs.
• Represent NBCUniversal to external professional organizations, peers and employees in a professional manner.
• Assist with workers' compensation claims management.
• Manage hazardous waste compliance programs.
• Conduct ongoing reviews of assigned productions to ensure that the application of EHS processes and systems are effective.
• Maintain departmental safety and personal protective equipment (PPE) inventory and distribution tracking.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience (minimum 5 years) in environmental health and safety or closely related field
• Strong computer skills (proficient in MS Word and Excel, Adobe; knowledgeable in MS Access or other database software)
• Self-starter with strong project management and leadership skills
• Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Must be able to interact with all levels of employees and management
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Must be able to climb ladders, wear fall protection, and wear respiratory equipment.
• Travel will be required
• Must be willing and able to work varied hours as needed to fit the needs of EHS and Production.
• Prior experience in motion picture, television, or entertainment industry is strongly preferred
• Completion of CSATF training a plus